EXTREME case of "morning chops"??

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by Trumpeter3197, Feb 2, 2014.

1. neal085

neal085 Mezzo Forte User

Sep 6, 2012
    Ft. Worth, TX
    Interesting thread, because I've been thinking about this lately.

I play first thing in the morning. That's the part of my day when I have time to do it, and yes, it's often within 15 minutes of waking up, depending on whether me or the wife is taking the squid to school that day. I do drink lots of water, but I've had range issues the last few weeks.

I attribute this to the holidays and illness getting me out of a good practice routine for almost a month, more than the hour of the day. I assume this is an issue that will clear itself up with another week or two of regular practicing, because I've lost range overall of late. Anyway, I hope that's all it is.

2. gmonady

gmonady Utimate User

Jan 28, 2011
    Dayton, Ohio
    I note a subtle difference if I play lots the night before and then have at it the next morning. I believe this results from a lot of factors, such as 1) edema from later day playing, 2) circadian release of steroid hormones, and 3) the recumbent position we are in as we slumber. When in this situation, I just take a few more minutes of light warm up exercises until I have full control back on my slotting of slurs, then move ahead with my standard practice routine.

3. gmonady

gmonady Utimate User

Jan 28, 2011
    Dayton, Ohio
    For those people intrigued with response 2), you may ask, how do you make a hormone? Don't pay her.

4. musicalmason

musicalmason Forte User

Dec 14, 2003
    Pa
    If you have trouble playing in the morning, you should practice in the morning. Wake up early on weekends and play then. Just like anything else, if you find yourself having trouble with something, do it until it's easy. In college my classical teacher scheduled my lessons just about every semester on Fridays at 7am. If you can play well on Friday morning at 7am, as a college student, with thirsty Thursdays in place, then a 5pm gig is a cake walk.

5. robeebee

robeebee Pianissimo User

Jul 24, 2013
    Sydney Australia
    Or kick her in the guts

6. Dr.Mark

Dr.Mark Mezzo Forte User

Apr 5, 2011
    Hi Trumpeter,
    You asked:
    "So my question is, has anyone had this extreme of a problem with the dreaded morning chops, in both (or either) the unreasonable length of time I have to wait after waking up and the severity of deterioration my playing suffers if I do play at these hours? If so, is there any sort of diagnosis for why this happens to me/what can be done to fix it?
    -------------
    Sorry, I'm not afflicted with this condition. However, there are people that prefer to do their work in the morning and those who prefer the night.
    How to deal with it. Chances are it's just not the lips so get moving! Go jogging, sit-ups, jumping jacks, walk the dog, etc. I think you get the idea. You need to get the sluggish out of the body. Once you've exercised, showered and hydrated, then pick up the horn. I feel that you're asking the body and mind to run on three cylinders when you're a four cylinder.
    Hope this helps. Another way is to get up even earlier so you'll be really awake when it's time to practice. Awake is more than just open eyes.
    Dr.Mark

7. Dr.Mark

Dr.Mark Mezzo Forte User

Apr 5, 2011
    Gman sez:
    "circadian release"
    Question, How's turning loose a bunch of flying bugs going to help. Have you been doing sabbaticals in the Amazon again?
    Dr.Mark

8. gmonady

gmonady Utimate User

Jan 28, 2011
    Dayton, Ohio
    To the Amazon, only to study the primitive Amazon women that give me what I could only call a real circadian release. Makes my steroids stare and my hormones moan.

9. jtpowell

jtpowell Pianissimo User

Mar 15, 2011
    Cincinnati
    I too suffered from "morning chops". I'm a new player just at the three year mark and it's just recently that "morning chops" have disappeared. I can't attribute any one single thing to their disappearance other than I don't go to bed sore and tight so I don't wake up sore and tight. Not over blowing, which I was doing, has probably helped me the most. I've also gradually started playing earlier and earlier, not to get rid of morning chops, but to play everything I want to play.

10. neal085

neal085 Mezzo Forte User

Sep 6, 2012
    Ft. Worth, TX
    I too, father, have sinned, and have been guilty of over-blowing, and verily have I have lost my range, and my embouchure has vexed me sore, and my bed is wet with my tears.

But lo, verily, and forsooth, in dust and ashes have I repented of my over-blowing, and have labored diligently in Clarke's, yea, even unto his Technical Studies, and have exercised control with diligence and fervor of spirit, and my range hath returned unto me, and verily on this very morn did I intone a piercing and altogether lovely F#, and it was the F# above the staff, and not the F# at the top of the staff, and it was of a good report. Moreover did my soul rejoice within me, for this was a note I had not previously attained.

Now it was about the 11th hour. And so it was that I arose from my practice, and washed my feet, and anointed my own head with oil, and dressed myself in fine linen and scarlet. Then I saddled my Honda and went early unto the workplace with a new song in my heart, for my soul was rejoicing in F# above the staff.

Amen.