Extreme Practice Times

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by john7401, Feb 15, 2010.

1. john7401

john7401 Pianissimo User

Jul 3, 2009
    I keep hearing of different old famous jazz players and really good professionals that would practice for crazy ammounts of times such as 8 hours a day.

I assume it isnt all playing, but I'd think alot of it is and how can they play for that long every single day?

And if alot of it isn't playing through 8 hours of the day then what kind of other things could they possibly have to practice for that long w/o the trumpet?

2. Jimi Michiel

Jimi Michiel Forte User

Mar 22, 2005
    Boston
    John,

When I was at Interlochen during the winter, I knew a lot of people, myself included, who practiced "extreme" amounts of time. I'd get a room at 9 or 10 in the morning and bring everything down--trumpets, mutes, recording equipment, sheet music, a boom box, several recordings of what I was practicing. There were days when I spent 10+ hours in those little rooms. It wasn't all practicing with the horn on the face. I remember working on the Haydn--I would play a section, record it, and then listen to each individual phrase, then listen to Maurice Andre, Wynton, and Schwartz play the same phrase. I also spent a lot of time on theory, both solfege and written theory. If I was down there 10 hours, I'd say maybe 4 were spent actually playing, 4 were spent analyzing or listening, and 2 were spent zoning out/throwing things/banging my head against the wall. It helped that everyone else was doing the same thing (there's not much else to do at an arts school in the middle of the woods during winter in Michigan).

-Jimi

3. tipo mastr

tipo mastr New Friend

Jun 6, 2009
    I for one wish I had that type of time on my hands. Although I think probably would end up using more than two hours on that last part :play:

4. TrumpetMonk

TrumpetMonk Pianissimo User

Jul 22, 2009
    West virginia
    Who have you heard do that? I remember going to a master class at morehead state and Professor wing said he made sure his studio practiced at least 4 hours a day. I average about two myself. But I guess it's all in your motivation and what you wish to accomplish.

5. Markie

Markie Forte User

Jan 4, 2009
    Clarksburg, WV
    doing the fingerings as you sight read through the parts, listening to the piece you just recorded, listening recordings of others who played the same piece but turned it into music,

6. seilogramp

seilogramp Piano User

Nov 23, 2009
    Georgia, USA
    I went to the Interlochen summer camp in 1975. I practiced a lot, but I mostly remember spending several days of bliss with my future wife.:D

7. rowuk

rowuk Moderator Staff Member

Jun 18, 2006
    Germany
    To the consummate musician, 8 hours is nothing. If you practice correctly, it is not even hard to do and yes, there is more than enough to use that time for. Scales, patterns, changes, memorizing tunes, heck even perfecting your timing/groove can take HOURS.

Some TMers would spend lots of time on sound although none of the people that I studied with worried about it. It kind of develops with all of the other skills without extra work.

8. Mambo King

Mambo King Pianissimo User

Aug 20, 2009
    London
    A friend of mine at college would obsessively use a stopwatch to ensure he played for six hours every day, to the point of stopping it if somebody interrupted him. He would place it on the music stand, in line of sight and I'd bet good money that his focus was more on the blessed watch than on the music although he strenuously denied this...after stopping the watch. I offer the following points:

1. As already commented, it isn't eight hours with the instrument on your face.
    2. You switch in and out of different levels of intensity and areas of focus.
    3. If you are enjoying what you are doing then the amount of time becomes coincidental.
    4. Being told to play for a certain number of hours each day can become destructive at a young age as the focus is shifted to the hours and not the minutes (you see what I did there?) and with college/university/conservatoire level students who are eager to follow their new mentors' instructions to the letter, the whole point of music can pass them by. What if they reach their allotted twenty seven hours practice for that day but are in the flow and working well...do they put the horn down?

9. frankmike

frankmike Piano User

Dec 5, 2008
    whoa whoa slow down

guys it is QUALITY what is important not QUANTITY

whats the use of blowing your lips out after first hour and than play another 7 with blown lips?

10. edfitzvb

edfitzvb Forte User

Jun 10, 2008
    Woodlawn, VA