Extreme Practicing

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by Joe44, Jan 1, 2012.

1. Joe44

Joe44 Pianissimo User

Apr 21, 2011
    Upstate Ny
    When I was talking to my great uncle, who was a professional trumpet player, he told me how he used to practice in the 1930's when he was my age (14). He said after he worked on his dad's farm he came in at night and sat on his sisters bed and he played scales until he passed out. The after he came to he did it again until he couldn't go anymore. He said he did this every night for a summer and he got really good. After telling me this he said not to do it and not to play when it hurts. It worked for him so, why not try this? It might work, right?:think:

2. Mark_Kindy

Mark_Kindy Mezzo Forte User

Jul 11, 2010
    Gainesville, FL
    Overpracticing without allowing for proper time to recover can result in muscle tears, which aren't good. You could also just have fatigue all the time, which sometimes could lead to compensation --- leading to bad habits and technique. Working yourself up to playing longer and longer is good, but just like in weightlifting, you have to allow for rest or you're going to hurt yourself.

3. TrumpetMD

TrumpetMD Fortissimo User

Oct 22, 2008
    Maryland
    I agree with Mark. Abusing your embouchure can lead to damage (tears, scar tissue, calcifications) or dystonia (a temporary or permanent lack of coordination between your nerves and the muscles of your embouchure). I also agree with Mark that playing fatigued can lead to bad habits.

If you have Clarke's Technical Studies, read what he says at the start of the first study. He talks about practicing in such a way that "your lips will always be fresh and under control", and that it's "the same as that of a physician prescribing three drops of medicine which will cure, whereas a spoonful will kill." Going on what Clarke said, I never play to the point of fatigue. I always have some fuel in the tank when I put the horn down.

Maybe your great uncle was just speaking metaphorically ("playing until he passed out")? Or maybe he was just trying to encourage you to work hard? Go with that and practice hard, but also practice smart.

Mike

Mark_Kindy likes this.
  4. gmonady

gmonady Utimate User

Jan 28, 2011
    Dayton, Ohio
    Just for emphysis, 2 out of 2 doctors agree to Mark_Kindy's post, making him a jr doctor for the day. Your first task junior doctor Kindy is to fill Vulgano Brother's request for more Ativan. Go to it lad, and I would suggest the 2 mg strength

[My motto is maximum dosing for maximum performance in THIS particular case - Oh you will need a DEA number for this... I'll give you Kingtrumpet's KT-9048575... If you DO send it like this, TrumpetMD and I will see you on the other side-the other side of officer Krumpky that is]!

5. codyb226

codyb226 Banned

Mar 9, 2011
    Florida, US
    :lol::lol:ROFL

6. TrumpetMD

TrumpetMD Fortissimo User

Oct 22, 2008
    Maryland
    Go Mark!

7. jiarby

jiarby Fortissimo User

May 7, 2011
    Arizona
    Arnold Schwartzenegger lifted weights until he passed out.... and became the most successful weightlifter in history.

I'll offer what my 7th grade band director told me...

After correcting me for puffing out my cheeks when playing I sarcastically quipped back that Dizzy Gillespie had a great career despite puffing out his cheeks...

He quicky retorted....

"Yes, but imagine how good he COULD HAVE BEEN!"

DOH!

Just because someone had success despite doing something the wrong way doesn't mean it is the right way. They were lucky, or supremely talented to overcome the errors in their ways.

Joe44 likes this.
  8. Joe44

Joe44 Pianissimo User

Apr 21, 2011
    Upstate Ny
    He said said that he sat on the bed so he would't get hurt when he passed out. crazy

9. Phil986

Phil986 Forte User

Nov 16, 2009
    Near Portland, OR.
    I took a look back at every method book I own: Arban, Clarke, Colin's flexibilities, Balay. They all say the same thing about strain, rest, etc...
    I'd tend to believe that's the way to go.

Then again, when your great uncle said pass-out, perhaps he just meant he was so tired from the long day he would just fall asleep...

10. gmonady

gmonady Utimate User

Jan 28, 2011
    Dayton, Ohio
    Better life through chemistry; but imagine how good he COULD HAVE BEEN by using simple physiology and biochemistry.