Extreme Practicing

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by Joe44, Jan 1, 2012.

1. kingtrumpet

kingtrumpet Utimate User

Sep 20, 2009
    New York State USA
    and KT agrees with 2 Doctors, and the junior Dr. Mark_Kindy --- !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! ROFL ROFL ROFL

2. Local 357

Local 357 Banned

Jul 1, 2011

This is simply compulsive practicing. Physical abuse not far removed from alcohol or other substance abuse. The problem is that the human body has a PHYSICAL LIMIT to every kind of exercise or body use/movement. Just so many high notes, loud notes, even so many accurate attacks.

Pushed past a certain threshold (which varies between trumpet players)? Zero or negative progress occurs.

I've come to believe that instead of pushing the physical limit one ought to seriously consider getting the mouthpiece to do as much work as possible. this means in some to many applications using the smallest or easiest mouthpiece the trumpet player can get away with.

Look at it this way: let's say that if you perform and practice high notes four hours a day and endurance exercises with a Bach 3C mouthpiece you can play a fairly difficult chart like "Miss Matazz" here:

Bud Brisbois: Miss Matazz - YouTube

Fine and dandy but what if this four hours a day is close to your physical limit? Lets say for the sake of the matter your physical limit is five hours a day of ANY kind of playing. Guess what?

It wouldn't take more than an extra hour of playing per day to push yourself into injury, swollen chops and stiffness. And at that point you simply must lay off and with that comes a reduction in performance capability.

Now what if you could pull of Miss Matazz with 1 hour of practice per day but on a Schilke 6a4a? You're staying well below your maximum threshold of performance. No need to worry about stiff chops, or injuries. Of course you might not want to use the 6a4a for anything besides big band lead or scream work. So you could devote up to two hours a day on general practice of articulation, flexibility, sound etc. On a bigger piece like the Schilke 13.

And you're still falling far short of your maximum output. In fact the above described practice is actually two hours LESS than what your maximum limit is while using Bach 3C.

On large, sharp mouthpieces we need to practice far more in order to maintain half decent lead chops. However this extra practice pushes us too close to what our weekly "budget" of potential ability is.

By getting the mouthpiece to do more of the work we save our chops. The mouthpiece never gets tired. Doesn't bleed either.

3. rowuk

rowuk Moderator Staff Member

Jun 18, 2006
    Germany
    Believe nothing that you are told and half of what you see.

I think that your uncle has a very selective memory of the past.

I believe in the excessive scale practicing, but you don't pass out from that. You would get better after a summer of hard physical work and serious practicing though. Scales are very basic to superior playing. Being successful generally means that we do not believe crap however. I think your uncle passed out from the stories that HE was told back then.......................

Good luck.

Guys, I don't think that we are at the stage where the poster is in serious danger of overwork. Those players don't have time to blog..................