Extreme Range playing

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by jazztrumpet329, Mar 19, 2007.

1. jazztrumpet329

jazztrumpet329 New Friend

Mar 15, 2007
    What's the best way to practice this range without becoming completely exhausted. I've been able to practice from double C to Triple C, but not for very long. It might be because I'm just a senior in high school. Any help with this? Thanks

2. stchasking

stchasking Forte User

Jun 11, 2006
    You are not taking enough time to get there.
    Buy "Advanced Lip Flexibilities" by Charles Colin. Take your time. About a year with this book might get you there. Three point breathing is really important. Take voice lessons so you can learn to breath.

Since you are a senior in high school I would suggest waiting until you can go to a college and get one on one coaching.

There are some people on this forum that can tell you where to get one on one help.

3. Solar Bell

Solar Bell Moderator Staff Member

May 11, 2005
    Metro Detroit
    You are in high school and play double C to triple C?

That is amazing! We need to ask you for help!

At least I do.

-cw-

4. DubbaCTrumpetMSU

DubbaCTrumpetMSU Mezzo Piano User

Dec 29, 2006
    Ft. Worth, TX
    No kidding, Chuck! The next MF, I suppose? lol. When you say double C, you mean the one 5 1/2 ledger lines above the staff? That's the last thing I'd be worrying about in high school. Tone, time, timbre, expression...now there's some stuff to work on...but to somewhat answer your question...don't practice it at the beginning of a session...that's one way..make sure you have a good warm-up. Not to mention don't do it at the end-have a cool down. Too much stress on high register playing will do your tone in. I do agree with Stchasking though..that Colin Flexibilities book will help greatly. There are some good exercises in there for developing high range.

5. jazztrumpet329

Mar 15, 2007
    NOOOOOO!!! I can hit the 5 1/2 ledger line sometimes, but, I meant getting a good solid tone from the 2nd ledger line to that one. Sorry about the misunderstanding of Double C!! I guess the high school double and real world double are different. Although, that'd be a great thing to be able to do that in high school.

Last edited: Mar 19, 2007
  6. DubbaCTrumpetMSU

DubbaCTrumpetMSU Mezzo Piano User

Dec 29, 2006
    Ft. Worth, TX
    Ahhh...that clears things up a bit. My advice still stands though..that book is great for building range...long tones, and scales up there build accuracy in the high register.

7. jazztrumpet329

Mar 15, 2007
    Have any of you tried the Louise Maggio style of playing? I can get above the Double C on a good day with that, but it sounds like garbage. Anyone know how to better the sound of this? If it's different from the other way.

8. Luis M. Araya

Luis M. Araya Pianissimo User

Jul 24, 2005
    HI,

I've had great results with the Maggio System, but mi high range got even better when I read in Hickman's Trumpet Pedagogy that is better not to get the botton lip to roll in behing the top lip, just tried, it feels very different but it worked for me, good luck.

LMA

9. rowuk

rowuk Moderator Staff Member

Jun 18, 2006
    Germany
    There are 2 ways to get to double C (there is no "high school double C"):
    hard work with a bit of natural talent OR luck with a lot of natural talent. Without any luck or talent, the going is very rough!
    You will find at TM that we do not talk about "squeezing things out sometimes" rather developing real reproducable skills.
    There is no shortcut to real high chops. Your embouchure, breathing skill and body use all have to work in sync to get there.
    As a senior I had a solid G above high C, but everything above that was a brick wall. 4 or 5 years later, when I started playing piccolo trumpet, I learned how to "relax" into that last octave. I would like to thank Earl Irons for his lip flexibilities and Dale Marrs - the solo trumpet player at the Stuttgart Philharmonic (my teacher back then) in helping me to get there.
    What I learned is not something that works over the internet. I had a teacher paying attention to what I was doing and some exercizes to fool me into relaxing in the stratosphere. Force is the biggest enemy! When all the pieces lined up, the brick wall came down.

10. trumpetnick

trumpetnick Fortissimo User

Nov 16, 2005
    Vidin, Bulgaria
    Robin,

Can you explain that? or at least elaborate a bit as far as you can go on the internet?