Eyes closed or wide open ?

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by Dupac, Apr 11, 2011.

Eyes closed or open ?

1. Always closed when not reading music

11.6%
  2. Never closed

20.9%
  3. It depends on circumstances

62.8%
  4. I don't know

4.7%
  1. Dupac

Dupac Fortissimo User

Aug 19, 2008
    Bordeaux, France.
    Many trumpet players I listen at, when they don't have to read a score of course, use to close their eyes (so do I, it seems I hear better !). But I have seen trumpeters playing (even not looking at a score) with eyes wide open. What do you do, brothers and sisters in trumpeting, and why ?
    Mikel

2. tobylou8

tobylou8 Utimate User

Dec 22, 2008
    Virginia
    I play eyes open because I want to see how the people are reacting. If they are running for the doors, I make a mental note not to do that again! :lol: When I am not reading the score and "improving", I feed off the people. When what I am doing moves the people, it moves me too.

3. Solar Bell

Solar Bell Moderator Staff Member

May 11, 2005
    Metro Detroit
    I keep mine open in case someone is going to throw something at me.

4. dan42guy

dan42guy New Friend

May 6, 2010
    Fort Worth, TX
    It depends on the circumstance. If you play with your eyes open, you are communicating with your audience. You're drawing them in and connecting with them through your eye contact. If you close your eyes, you're demonstrating that you are personally deeply connected with the music. That can be touching to an audience, but can also alienate them.

5. reedy

reedy Piano User

Jul 31, 2009
    Wiltshire, UK
    I remember as a kid playing in a young musician competition and one girl played without the music and with her eyes closed and got told never to play with your eyes closed.

I think that your loosing your connection with the audience by playing with your eyes closed

6. Fluffy615

Fluffy615 Piano User

Nov 30, 2006
    New Jersey
    Well considering some of the clubs I've played in over the years eyes open is the best idea! The flying beer bottles during the fights are easier to dodge when you can see them coming!
    All kidding aside, I do find myself closing my eyes when I don't need to read anything. I guess it helps me concentrate.
    Bob

7. s.coomer

s.coomer Forte User

Mar 25, 2005
    Indianapolis, In
    If I am learning something for memorization then yes eyes many times are closed to make sure I learned it. Most of the rest of the time the eyes are open. So it depends on the circumstances.

8. trickg

trickg Utimate User

Oct 26, 2003
    Baltimore/DC
    I keep mine open. When playing songs that I know well enough where I don't need the music, it allows me to watch the people on the dance floor to see how they are reacting to the band.

9. Mamba21500

Mamba21500 Piano User

Feb 26, 2009
    My eyes are always open when I am playing, I like to stay in time with the band... In impro though, I keep my eyes open, as I'm usually pooping myself, and I can't remember the chord sequence..

10. stevesf

stevesf Piano User

Jun 23, 2010
    San Francisco Bay Area
    When I close my eyes my hearing seems to become more enhanced. Of course I keep them open if I actually have to read the music lol.
    I use closed eyes approach if I want to really listen intensely on how I am sounding and what is going on around me aurally.