F E Olds New Company?

Discussion in 'Vintage Trumpets / Cornets' started by drKmod, Dec 19, 2003.

1. drKmod

drKmod New Friend

Nov 9, 2003
    Okla. City, OK
    The top of the line cornet, Olds NP6MT, looks like the Getzen 800 model. The company said they were built in Indiana by a premium manufacturer. They only have one spit valve. Yuk! Anybody know anything about these? :roll:

2. azerba

azerba New Friend

Dec 21, 2003
    Pendleton, Oregon USA
    Don, I checked on these folks about 2 or so years ago and found out the name Olds was sold to a New York entity. The horns are made in thier own factory in Elkhart. I do know even the pro models use a two piece bell, with something they call a sound bead added to them, but as far as quality and playability I do not know.

3. JACKKANSTUL

JACKKANSTUL Pianissimo User

OLDS IN NAME ONLY :cry:

To The Real Olds-KANSTUL :D 50 YEARS OF THE BEST AND STILL GOING!

Jack Kanstul
    www.kanstulmusic.com

4. drKmod

drKmod New Friend

Nov 9, 2003
    Okla. City, OK
    Jack, No doubt about that. I talked to their telephone person and this guy knew squat about anything related to the horn.

Don

5. study888

study888 Mezzo Forte User

Aug 22, 2005
    Darlington S.C.
    Hello to All. This is a Old post,that has caught my attention. Was on the Brass Review looking at the reviews of the New F.E. Olds company. (in name only). Was looking at the Pro grade NP6MT Silver plate short model cornet. Saw some good reviews and from another site, also from a Pro Trumpet/Cornet player's collection. Looking a little farther on the Brass Review,found the Blessing B141 model in silver plate. It had some good reviews. Low and behold,both models look exactly alike,with same specs. It seems the Blessing company was making this model Cornet for them selves and the new F.E. Olds company. I went to the new Blessing site,and they are not listing a Pro grade cornet. The F.E. Olds company is still listing the Olds NP6MT cornet on their Ad site but no price list. Any of you fellows by any chance playing one of these models. They both look like a Getzen 800 Eterna cornet with a Besson facing forward second valve tubing. May be the cheapest way to try out a good grade Short model shepard crook cornet,without breaking the bank. Thanks for any info.

6. SteveRicks

SteveRicks Fortissimo User

Aug 15, 2009
    Alabama
    I think if one wants something similar to an Olds and doesn't want to look at a vintage, then they need to go to Kanstul Music. They make top quality instruments -with the "boss" as the former boss of Olds.

Just out of curiosity -sure wish a pro or semi pro player would try out one of these "Olds in name only" new horns and post a review that we could refer others to before they waste their money. To date, I've never head of anyone that has actually seen one first hand, yet alone played it.

7. A.N.A. Mendez

A.N.A. Mendez Utimate User

Oct 25, 2005
    Sunny Ca.
    It would be good to find out if they make anything worth looking at.

8. ComeBackKid

ComeBackKid Fortissimo User

May 11, 2009
    Yorba Linda, CA
    I would also like to see a review. It seems a shame that we all judge the "new" Olds/Blessing horns on innuendo and assumption rather than real facts. Any volunteers to buy one and try it out??

9. study888

study888 Mezzo Forte User

Aug 22, 2005
    Darlington S.C.
    Ditto ComeBackKid. In the Olds section of the Brass Review,they did list these newer F.E.Olds Trumpets and Cornets. They are,or were being made by the E.W. Blessing Company. This Olds NP6MT Cornet model and the E.W. Blessing Artist Short Model Bb Cornet B141Cornet model appear to be one and the same. Good reviews on both models on the Brass Review. Trumpet member (IMF),I believe posts here and on the Trumpet Herald. He has the Blessing B141 model. Maybe he will see this post and comment. Been a few years back,but seems like Paul Ayick had one of the Olds NP6MT Cornets in his picture listing. I rechecked and it is not there,seems he is mostly listing only vintage Horns. If correct in my memory,his statement was, it was one of his more favorite playing modern short model cornets. E.W. Blessing does a lot of jobbing out work for these other Music company, so does Getzen. Rather see our people doing it than the Chinese,regardless of what old name,new name being used. Another sleeper horn is the Sam Ash Jean Baptist 900S Flugelhorn. Jobbed out to the B&S German company,same as the B&S 3142 model Flugelhorn. Does not hurt to search things out. Sometimes, you might be paying more money just for that Famous name.

Last edited: Jan 10, 2010
  10. jbkirby

jbkirby Forte User

Sep 10, 2009
    Dothan, Alabama
    The original Olds died in 1979 and was reinvented as Kanstul. If you want a new-real Olds, buy a Kanstul! Jack: Do you think there is a market for a new Kanstul Recording? :thumbsup: