F/G trumpet?

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by Anonymous, May 27, 2005.

1. Anonymous

Anonymous Forte User

Oct 21, 2003
    Hi Mr. L:

Can you comment on the need for an F/G trumpet? In all of your years playing lead in an orchestra, can you count how many times you've needed an F/G on one hand?

I've been given money to purchase a new trumpet for graduation, and am deciding between an F/G or a flugelhorn. A past teacher, Langston Fitzgerald, commented years ago that he plays F/G on many solos as opposed to the picc.

What do you think?

2. Manny Laureano

Manny Laureano Utimate User

Sep 29, 2004
    USA
    Hmmmm...

That's a tough one and I'll tell you why.

The F/G is a bit like having an insurance policy. The very few times you need it , you're very glad you have it.

I've played it more as an experimental novelty rather than as something that I found necessary. For example, I've used the F to play the Messiah and I use it as a calesthenic horn to practice the Brandenburg 2.

I've used the G to play Bolero, Messiah, and the Rite of Spring. I like the variety of playing things on different horns and the F/G serves as part of the mix.

Now to you: I don't see that a student "needs" that horn more than a Bb Cornet. I'd rather have a cornet than the other horns you listed to play orchestral literature and cornet solos. Let's face it, you've got the requisite horns needed to start a career so whatever choice you make will be the right one as long as you enjoy it.

ML

3. Anonymous

Anonymous Forte User

Oct 21, 2003
    Thanks Mr. L! I appreciate your response! I only wish I were closer to MN so that I might get to meet you and have a lesson. From Baltimore I can only admire your recordings and what you have to say on this forum (which is wonderful). Thanks again!

4. Robert1

Robert1 New Friend

Feb 8, 2005
    Dear Peabodytrumpeter...

You can always tune in the Minnesota Orchestra via their live web-cast. Friday nights LIVE at 8pm (9pm your time!).

Click on this.

http://minnesota.publicradio.org/radio/programs/minnesota_orchestra/

This is a wonderful thing, especially if your local public radio affiliate does not carry Minnesota Orchestra broadcasts, and you have already listened to your Minnesota Orchestra "Alpine Symphony" recording 17 times that day :)

This Friday, June 3rd, they are doing Verdi Requiem. This is not to be missed!!! (I think I might even have to make the 5-hour drive from Wisconsin to Orchestra Hall, Minneapolis, just to hear this!)

5. Manny Laureano

Manny Laureano Utimate User

Sep 29, 2004
    USA
    Well, folks, it seems I've done a dandy job of mucking up the topic splitting procedure. I'll try to remedy that. Sigh... the burden of being a would-be computer geek... Sorry.

ML