Face, Lip Injury HELP

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by DonJuanTrompeta, Apr 12, 2005.

1. DonJuanTrompeta

DonJuanTrompeta New Friend

Apr 12, 2005
    Anyone out there,

I have a boy in band who just recently got into a car accident and damaged his face pretty bad. His lips are a mess and he can't even blow into a trumpet anymore. He's a junior this year and plans to go on the higher music training. I want to help this kid out really badly, but I don't know what to do. I'm just a dopey trombone player, who started out on trumpet. I was referred to this website from one of my colleagues, because of it's reputation to help.

Thanks,
    Paul Derrick

Oh Mr. Laureano, I admire your work and Mr. Wright's.

2. Manny Laureano

Manny Laureano Utimate User

Sep 29, 2004
    USA
    Dear DJ,

Recently, a gentleman wrote in with a situaution that has similarities. He was a comeback player that sufffered an injury long ago, however.

I'll tell you what I told him:

When someone has undergone physical trauma and wants to play again, going back to the old embouchure can, at times, be a risky proposition because the old muscles and nerve ending may be getting the message and they might not. In order to avoid frustration, have the student play a melody in a variety of places on the lips without giving preference to any one location until a good sound has been achieved. My thought is that he'll find a decent sound in more than just one place and the orientation towards sound will be more effective than placement on the lips.

Let his ear dictate the placement not the other way around. It'll take a lot of pressure off psychologically. he just may wind up a better player than when he started... you never know.

Remind him to take big breaths so that he has his mind on fueling up for a big sound and then encourage him to play as enjoyable a melody as he or you can come up with.

Keep in touch and let us know how he does.

ML

3. W Scott

W Scott Piano User

Dec 8, 2003
    Carson City, NV.
    Be sure and give the kid time to heal. Don't push him hard just yet, give him a couple of months to really start playing again. Playing again after a lip injury is something I did quite often growing up. My upper lip is a mess of scar tissue from accidents with baseballs, fistfights and boxing. I still played, but I took it easy until the swelling went down and the scabs went away.

4. trumpetgirl612

trumpetgirl612 Pianissimo User

Mar 30, 2005
    practice room 5
    tell him he is in my prayers

5. Jarrett

Jarrett Piano User

Nov 11, 2003
    Richland, MO
    W Scott is dead on.... I had a weightlifting accident in high school were I dropped 225 lbs on my teeth and broke out my 4 front teeth and busted my lips up real good. As long as the kid lets it heal and still actually has feeling in his lips, he should be fine. Just don't let him push himself. If he has any dental damage, make sure he knows that the dentist needs to be aware of his "special needs" specifically, his teeth need to be moved back into as near what they were before as possible. Changing dental structure set me back a good while until I figured out what the problem was. Hope this helped. One more time... don't let him play.
    -Jarrett

6. DonJuanTrompeta

Apr 12, 2005
    Thanks you guys. Mike (the kid in pain) appreciates the support from TrumpetMaster.

Well, he did sustain some dental damage to his front teeth and is going to get that fixed immediately. Quite honestly, the poor kid looks like a picasso painting. His lip is so swollen and it pains me to even go on about his injuries.

I'm not making him play. What I'm having him to do is Music History and such. It's kind of hard considering the fact that he was my principal player.

Very much appreciated,
    Paul

7. Manny Laureano

Sep 29, 2004
    USA
    DJ,

Would this be a good time to expose him to piano? Do you have one available to him? Do you use string bass in the band?

Just a thought.

ML

8. DonJuanTrompeta

Apr 12, 2005
    I know, that's what I thought about. And I asked him today about it. He doesn't know anything else but trumpet. Damn it. The boy had auditions lined up from U of Northern Texas, Manhattan, and Eastman. You may think that I might be getting too involved, but it's so hard to watch a kid you've seen grow into this amazing performer, and see his dreams wash down the drain.

9. W Scott

W Scott Piano User

Dec 8, 2003
    Carson City, NV.
    Don't be so sure that his dreams are down the tubes. It may take some time, maybe even a year, but I'd guess that if he wants too he'll be back as good as before.

10. Manny Laureano

Sep 29, 2004
    USA
    DJ,

It's only a sidetrack that is temporary if he wants it badly enough. You sound very down about it and I don't blame you but please remember the lessons provided by players like Herseth, Mendez, Stevens and others that have gone through debilitating injuries.

If he wants it badly enough he'll get what he needs back. Stay positive.

ML