Face work!

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by Sofus, Oct 29, 2009.

1. Sofus

Sofus Forte User

Jul 26, 2008
    No doubt!

2. ComeBackKid

ComeBackKid Fortissimo User

May 11, 2009
    Yorba Linda, CA
    If you want relaxed, it seems to me that Tine Thing Helseth is the poster child. When I first saw a video of her playing, I thought she was just holding the trumpet and the sound was dubbed in. She looks like she is in a trance. I can't imagine how she can change embouchure with no outward signs.

3. veery715

veery715 Utimate User

Mar 6, 2007
    Ithaca NY
    Could it be she doesn't change her embouchure?

4. ComeBackKid

ComeBackKid Fortissimo User

May 11, 2009
    Yorba Linda, CA
    Good point! It was a poor choice of words on my part. It's true that none of us should change our embouchure while playing. What I meant to say was there is no apparent change in the tension of her mouth or face in going from low/slow notes to high/fast notes. She is perfectly relaxed in all situations. It appears that whatever changes she makes happen within the confines of the mouthpiece. Is there something there for the rest of us to learn?

5. MTROSTER

MTROSTER Piano User

Jan 25, 2007
    Canada
    The strained facial expressions are part of the art. Let's face it. When you play trumpet you have to work at it.:-P

6. rowuk

rowuk Moderator Staff Member

Jun 18, 2006
    Germany
    The videos could very well be dubbed (just like Alison Balsoms). There is ALWAYS a certain amount of muscle movement unless you are holding out long tones. Videos are not there to inform you about the playing. they are there because beauty and sensuality sell more videos than good playing does. This is what MONEY is about. Both of these beautiful ladies play extremely well, but use their "other" charms to attract non-trumpet players.