Facial hair in the way?

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by connmaster, Apr 23, 2010.

1. connmaster

connmaster New Friend

Mar 14, 2010
    I have a beard and just below my lower lip, I have a "gotee" that seems to get under my mp.

I think the mp might not be making the proper contact with my lip.

Anyone else have this happen?

2. Vulgano Brother

Vulgano Brother Moderator Staff Member

Mar 23, 2006
    Parts Unknown
    The hair may get in there when not playing (breaths, rests and such) although you play with "proper contact."

I have caught a moustache hair under the rim, and it hurts!

3. Dark Knight

Dark Knight Pianissimo User

Apr 7, 2010
    Canada
    I grew a gotee for "Mowvember" which was prostate awareness month. I had only been 3 months into my comeback. I found the gotee really got in the way and could not wait until the month was over. I would move the whiskers aside with my MP then set it on the lips but it still bothered me. A beard didn't seem to bother my hero (Al Hirt) at all, so I figured I probably just takes some getting used to. I don't believe it affected my playing, which was (is) generally bad anyways. ;-)

David

4. TrumpetMD

TrumpetMD Fortissimo User

Oct 22, 2008
    Maryland
    I've played with a moustache since high school, and a full beard since college. It's never bothered me, but i guess it's what I'm used to. Although on the rare occasion that I shave, I feel I get a better grip on the mouthpiece.

5. Buck with a Bach

Buck with a Bach Fortissimo User

Dec 29, 2009
    Canton, Ohio
    I do keep the 'stache trimmed back from my lip. Like VB, I've gotten one or two caught at times, and he's right, It Smarts!:play::oops:

6. Dupac

Dupac Fortissimo User

Aug 19, 2008
    Bordeaux, France.
    Didn't Dizzy play with a goatee ?

7. amzi

amzi Forte User

Feb 18, 2010
    Northern California
    I've played with a mustache for 40 years and a full beard (with occasional flirtations with a goatee) for the last 30. Don't remember ever having a problem and certainly don't have a problem now. Guess I've been lucky since my mouthpiece rests on both mustache and beard hairs. It will likely just take a little getting used to. Hang in there.

8. connmaster

connmaster New Friend

Mar 14, 2010
    "A better grip on the mp" That's what I feel the gotee messes up! I'm going to try trimming if back from my lip a little and see if it helps.

9. connmaster

connmaster New Friend

Mar 14, 2010
    Well, I trimmed the hair away from my lower lip and it did seemm to help with mp to lip contact.

Played a solo at church yesterday and it went pretty well except for the "dry mouth" I experienced. Lost the buzz once or twice, but it's a start!

10. Buck with a Bach

Buck with a Bach Fortissimo User

Dec 29, 2009
    Canton, Ohio
    Good for you!:play:

The dry mouth is normal nerves, happens to me, too............Buck:oops: