Facial Hair on Trumpeters

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by adonis74, Feb 20, 2007.

1. adonis74

adonis74 Pianissimo User

Feb 11, 2007
    Palm Springs, CA
    Why do so many horn players have moustaches, goatees, and/or beards?

I've heard some tales as to why, but is there any substance to any of that? :dontknow:

2. Solar Bell

Solar Bell Moderator Staff Member

May 11, 2005
    Metro Detroit
    Because they are all immature and want to look older than the mind tells them they are.

-cw-

3. Eclipsehornplayer

Eclipsehornplayer Forte User

Sep 14, 2005
    Metro Detroit
    I could tell you somethng macho and whitty here but instead I'll tell the truth.

Truth is that my wife like me in a go-tee. When I shave I have a serious babyface and with my size and lack of hair I tend to look like Curly from the three stooges. Personally I like it; however my wife does not share my enthusiasm for the look so; I retain my facial hair.

That's it; nothing more; nothing less!

4. Tootsall

Tootsall Fortissimo User

Oct 25, 2003
    Yee HAW!
    When I shave my mustache off I look much younger than I am and I lose all credibility (not that I have much anyway).

The most probable reason is that hirsute trumpet players are deathly afraid of cutting their lip(s) while shaving and, provided the growth pattern of their facial hair is suitable for working with a mouthpiece, prefer dealing with hair than with cuts and nicks (or ingrown hairs... OUCH).

The alternate reason would be as John suggests... their wives/girlfriends/lovers prefer it. Maybe Alex, Ingrid, Lara or other ladies will chime in! :cool:

5. Pedal C

Pedal C Mezzo Forte User

Jan 24, 2005
    I, sadly enough, look older clean shaven. No reason to do that...

And it hides the fact that the middle of my mouth is more or less permanently a little red from trumpet playing.

6. Vulgano Brother

Vulgano Brother Moderator Staff Member

Mar 23, 2006
    Parts Unknown
    I would like to think that facial hair on trumpeters is less of an issue than body hair on violists -- why do so many of them not shave their legs and underarms and then wear tank tops and shorts to rehearsals?

7. crowmadic

crowmadic Mezzo Piano User

Oct 3, 2006
    I'll tell the real truth. Facial hair makes you play better. If you think you look "groovy" you'll play "groovy". Also, females like trumpet players with hair more than those without. Another reason is that it helps the mouthpiece stay centered like a bumper-car between two rails. Razor blades last longer, and electric shavers don't use as much electricity. It gives you something to play with during long rests. Shaping facial hair like your trumpet idol will help to sound like him more than playing the same trumpet, or using the same mouthpiece. Lack of facial hair is why females make better drivers than trumpet players, unless they use hormones, proven by the fact that some hair is required on a female trumpet player by the musicians union in Timbucktoo. I have to go now, my barber just arrived.

8. Solar Bell

Solar Bell Moderator Staff Member

May 11, 2005
    Metro Detroit
    Look over there to the left.....
    <-------<<

The gorgeous blonde in that picture asked me to shave the mustache off soon after we were married.

So THAT theory is out the window! :-)

-cw-

9. Dale Proctor

Dale Proctor Utimate User

Jul 20, 2006
    Heart of Dixie
    It covers up that ugly mouthpiece scar on my upper lip.

10. Vulgano Brother

Vulgano Brother Moderator Staff Member

Mar 23, 2006
    Parts Unknown
    Whoa! The mouthpiece scar should be seen as a badge of honor! Wear it with pride (unless it's from a saxophone or baritone)!