Facial Hair

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by soloft, Mar 10, 2009.

1. soloft

soloft New Friend

Jan 14, 2009
    Texas
    I'm debating on growing a sort of goatee (sp), and was wondering how much it will affect playing. Does anyone have experience or know someone that plays with facial hair?
    Also, off topic and not that important, does anyone know where there is a recording of Andante et Allegro by Guillaume Balay?

2. Vulgano Brother

Vulgano Brother Moderator Staff Member

Mar 23, 2006
    Parts Unknown
    I've played with just about every possible combination of facial hair, and the only problem has been getting a hair under the mouthpiece, and it hurt like crazy!

3. rowuk

rowuk Moderator Staff Member

Jun 18, 2006
    Germany
    I have a full beard and mustache, and have for the last 30 years. No issues except when my mustache is too long. Then a hair can get "pulled" on and induce sharp pain.

If you look better with the goatee, THAT can increase your self esteem and THAT works wonders.

4. soloft

soloft New Friend

Jan 14, 2009
    Texas
    Alright, thanks guys.
    As far as the recording, I found one about a minute or two after I posted the thread.

5. trumpet_man

trumpet_man Piano User

Jan 17, 2008
    Wyoming
    Allen Vizzutti has a mustache and look how good he is (I'm not saying rowuk and Vulgano Brother aren't, I'm quite sure they are really good, I just haven't heard them play and can't use them as an example because of it).

6. tony h

tony h Pianissimo User

Feb 21, 2008
    I've had full beard and mustache for twenty odd years even though I've only been playing for the past three . Keeping the tache trimmed is the most I have to do with it , when a hair is growing right where the mouthpiece is , it's like you got stabbed in the face . Hope this doesn't put you off .

7. Pedal C

Pedal C Mezzo Forte User

Jan 24, 2005
    It bothers some people and it doesn't make any difference at all for some others. Grow it and see, you'll know in a few days. You can always shave it off.

8. Bob Grier

Bob Grier Forte User

May 4, 2007
    Greensboro, NC
    The only problem is if your girlfriend/wife gets "tickled" when you kiss.

9. Amir

Amir New Friend

Mar 7, 2009
    Israel
    I don't have a "full" mustache (Im only 18, steel growing!), but I do feel better when I don't shave for a week or two. my embouchure feels more stable. It may be just because the area of the upper lip get sensitive when I shave it... I don't know what the real reason yet.
    Just try how it feels, in the worst case - shave it.

10. oldlou

oldlou Forte User

Aug 28, 2005
    Grand Rapids, Mi.

In my case, I am 73 YOA with a LARGE mustache that doesn't bother me in any way. When I do shave it off periodically,( due to my being clumsy while trimming it ), I discover that I am prone to use additional pressure on my chops.

OLDLOU>>