Fake Books on CD nedd to trade up for Bb

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by de_Genova, Mar 2, 2009.

1. de_Genova

de_Genova Pianissimo User

Sep 29, 2008
    Philadelphia
    Fake Books on CD need to trade up for Bb

WTT: I have CD's in "C" - and want to trade for ---> Eb OR Bb parts on disc or in print.

Please see list below - In this collection are also about 1,000 horn transcriptions as well including "The Best Collection of Trumpet Solo's" with over 500 tunes.
    But I don't need "C" books please.........Anyone out there interested in trading up let me know.
    Disc 1
    MASTER INDEX file - lists all the tunes for search on Disc 1
    MENU file - Lists all Books on the disc 1
    Bill Evans Fake Book
    Jazz Fake Book
    Jazz LTD - all the tunes the Real Books missed
    Library of Musicians - Jazz
    Real Book 1 2 and 3
    New Real Book 1 2 and 3
    The Colorado Cook Book
    The Book
    Disc 2
    A Man And His Soul - Ray Charles
    Brazilian Jazz Real Book
    Cuban Fake Book Reduced
    Nat King Cole – Songook
    Russian Fake Book
    TV Fakebook
    VocalRealBookVol 1 (for vocalists)
    VocalRealBookVol 2
    Disc 3
    The Book
    The Tin Pan Alley Series
    The Real Book of Blues
    The Slick Book
    Real Book Bass fifth edition
    Real Book Bass volume 2
    Real Book C 5th edition
    Library of Musicians' Jazz
    Jazz Ltd.
    Jazz Fake book
    The Colorado Cookbook
    Russian fake book
    Real Book C volume 1
    Real Book C volume 2
    Real Book C volume 3
    Disc 4
    "Jazz Trumpet Solos" includes about 500 jazz transcriptions and "The Best Collection of Trumpet Solo's" with over 500 transcriptions.

Nota Bene: This is not a request for music lessons. I have NO desire to learn how to transpose ala 'sight-reading'. If I want to read from a book in Bb or Eb or C that's my business. Please keep your 'teacherly' instincts to yourselves........Thank you

Last edited: Apr 3, 2009
  2. Solar Bell

Solar Bell Moderator Staff Member

May 11, 2005
    Metro Detroit
    Why do you want the books in B flat?????

3. gbdeamer

gbdeamer Forte User

Oct 16, 2008
    It may seem easier right now to have the books in Bb, but I think you should keep the ones you have. Fake books are a great way to practice transposition. It will also help you if you ever want to jam with a piano or guitar...

4. de_Genova

de_Genova Pianissimo User

Sep 29, 2008
    Philadelphia
    The reason?........I play several instruments and I like to read in C - Bb - Eb and I wasn't planning on letting any of them out of my possession. I intended on 'trading' discs, which actually only means 'exchanging' a copy of what I have for a copy of what someone else might have - discs or printed material such as an actual fake book. I gave the most recent Bb fake book that I received in trade to a musician friend who was in need of one so that was reason enough to have made a trade. People gain in unexpected ways from transactions such as these.

Nota Bene: Why do people make judgments about this anyway? If I want to read from a Bb book or an Eb book that's my privilege. Right??? If I want to 'learn to transpose' that's also my privilege and my own decision - not some "teacher" on the forum. I wasn't asking for lessons - only a trade !!!!!!

Last edited: Apr 3, 2009
  5. SpiritDCI08

SpiritDCI08 Piano User

Feb 11, 2009
    Fort Campbell, KY
    Why not transpose? This seems like a good excuse to flex your music skill muscles.

So a side note, what is a fake book?

6. hubnub

hubnub Piano User

May 4, 2007
    Cleveland, OH

Fake books are books of jazz tunes the jazz musicians play from. There are an organized set of tunes of the jazz idiom. They call them fake books because years ago you could seriously only get these on the so called "black market" due to copyright laws.

I remember getting mine back in high school and it was like going to a speakeasy. I went to this music store with my teacher and he talked to the owner and it was like this big secret thing. He waited till the show room was clear of people and he took me and my teacher in the back and he gave me one.... at the time being 15, I was a little freaked out, but as I look back it was funny as hell!ROFL

Transposing is a good thing. It hones your skills and makes for a better band stand musician. Sometimes rhythm players aren't too savvy on how to transpose or write for Bb players. It's a good skill to have.

7. gbdeamer

gbdeamer Forte User

Oct 16, 2008
    I still think you should learn to transpose. Also, soliciting illegal activities or copyright infringement on the forum is generally frowned upon.

Nota Bene: Being a jerk won't win you any friends on the internet or in life. It's your privilege to post on an open internet forum, but it's also ours, so YOU can't dictate the responses you'll get.

Now get off the internet and practice your transposition!

8. TrentAustin

TrentAustin Fortissimo User

Oct 28, 2003
    Boston, MA
    silly idea but why not memorize tunes and not worry about bringing a real book to a gig?

9. rowuk

rowuk Moderator Staff Member

Jun 18, 2006
    Germany
    Oh Trent, there you go being logical again. I think an electronic book is the real answer - maybe with sampled trumpet sounds to play the high notes that we only can hit sometimes.......................

Note Bene: we have a marketplace forum for strict "business" transactions. If you post here, you and your opinion is free meat for anyone looking to comment. My teacherly instincts tell me that trying to limit responses just gives us more reason to deal with the "attitude". Sorry if you bought the wrong package.

10. westview1900

westview1900 Piano User

Nov 30, 2005
    Great idea. Charlie Parker is said to have learned tunes in all twelve keys:
    Charlie Parker - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

I have not done this, so I can only imagine how it would help me get around the trumpet.