Faking the part of being a professional trumpeter?

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by BustedChops, Aug 6, 2012.

1. BustedChops

BustedChops Mezzo Forte User

Oct 1, 2011
    I did a little busking and made about 7$...Not too shabby for half hour...A guy approached me and asked if I was playing with anybody. I said no...He seemed to take an interest. However I know very little theory. I do play from feeling. The particular person is in an active band that is gigging.

I feel that I might be able to educate myself by working with others of greater experience. However I don't want to be a burden at rehearsals. I intend to pursue this opportunity and see how far I can push myself.

I'm fairly confident that I can play simple melodies over basic chord changes without being too much of a show boater. In fact I'd rather play comfortably with good tone than try to screech slop.

I don't know how advanced the band members are. However I'm confident that if they wrote out a part for me to play that I'd practice the hell out of it and be spot on when needed.

If I'm not mistaken some of the greatest rock n' roll bands formed from accidents. Hopefully I can get a start here.

2. patkins

patkins Forte User

Nov 22, 2010
    Tuscaloosa, AL.
    Proverbs: "Do not despise small beginnings."

3. coolerdave

coolerdave Utimate User

Nov 7, 2009
    San Pedro
    Sounds like a blast ...
    My only comment would be if you aren't used to playing with other musicians, you might get ahold of some play along cds and record yourself to see how good your "pulse" keeping skills are. At the very least work with a metronome and see how you fair.
    Good Luck... keep us posted

4. Dale Proctor

Dale Proctor Utimate User

Jul 20, 2006
    Heart of Dixie
    Nothing ventured, nothing gained. I've tried various playing styles and venues over the years...some worked and some didn't. I pursued the ones that held the most promise and/or were the most fun. Sometimes the good-paying gigs are fun, and sometimes they are like work...same goes for free ones, so I don't do freebies that aren't fun...;-)

5. Pete Anderson

Pete Anderson Pianissimo User

Feb 27, 2008
    He heard you playing and thought you sounded good enough or he wouldn't have asked you to play with them.

6. tobylou8

tobylou8 Utimate User

Dec 22, 2008
    Virginia
    do it!!!!!!!!!!

7. veery715

veery715 Utimate User

Mar 6, 2007
    Ithaca NY
    Yep!

8. bachfella

bachfella Mezzo Piano User

Oct 11, 2011
    Claymont, DE
    Give it a try, nothing to lose!! If it works out, you've got what could be a nice gig, and if it doesn't, at least you'll know what you have to work on if you want to start playing in a group. Good luck!!

9. Chuck Cox

Chuck Cox Forte User

Oct 3, 2008
    Cary NC
    Practice playing some of Chris Botti's style.

10. lmf

lmf Forte User

May 16, 2007
    Indiana USA
    You will learn the first time you play with the group if it is for you and whether or not you can do it? If not, you will have tried. Wishing you success!

Best wishes,

Lloyd