Falling Mute

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by crowmanic, Mar 21, 2016.

1. crowmanic

crowmanic Mezzo Piano User

Nov 9, 2015
    I'm sure this has been covered before but I couldn't find it. I'm having occasions where the mute I'm using falls out of the bell, usually cup or harmon. The corks are old but intact. I'd like to just put the mute in without exhaling into the bell, wetting the corks, or pressing and turning so hard. Where am I going wrong?

2. Dalecon

Dalecon New Friend

Feb 26, 2016
    Ottawa
    I usually exhale into the bell, never had a problem. I can't even remember who taught me to do it, but its almost natural. Was wondering same thing recently when I noticed when putting in my mouthpiece with a small twist, don't remember who taught me this, just always do it.

3. Clarkvinmazz

Clarkvinmazz Forte User

May 11, 2013
    Oberlin, Ohio
    Yeah, I always exhale into the bell. It's the best way to do it.

4. trickg

trickg Utimate User

Oct 26, 2003
    Baltimore/DC
    +1 - this is what the pros do - I don't see why you should be any different.

5. tobylou8

tobylou8 Utimate User

Dec 22, 2008
    Virginia
    +4 and I'm just a semi-pro! :D your corks could be dirty/greasy. You could change the with contact cement and it would be easy.

6. Dennis78

Dennis78 Fortissimo User

Feb 1, 2015
    Cincinnati
    I wet my finger and wipe it on the corks......kinda like fixing a runner

7. crowmanic

Nov 9, 2015
    What's with +1. What's your definition of "pro"?

8. crowmanic

Nov 9, 2015
    I'm clueless to the + numbers +1, +4. What does that mean? I like your suggestion the best. I think my corks have gotten too slick. I'll have to work on that.

9. crowmanic

Nov 9, 2015
    I'll continue doing the exhale into the bell, and I'll make sure my corks still have grabbing power.

10. trickg

trickg Utimate User

Oct 26, 2003
    Baltimore/DC
    +1 meaning that I exhale into the bell and then stick the mute in, just like virtually every gigging player I know.

By "pro" I'm talking about people who play at an upper level, or who play for their jobs - military bandsman (of which I was one) come to mind. That's what we all did. Heck, that's where I learned how to do it as a means to get the mute to stick better!