Falling Mute

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by crowmanic, Mar 21, 2016.

1. Dale Proctor

Dale Proctor Utimate User

Jul 20, 2006
    Heart of Dixie
    I used to fog the bell before putting a mute in it, mainly because that's what everyone did. I stopped doing it 10 or 12 years ago and haven't had one fall out yet. I do keep the corks clean, though, so they don't become slippery.

2. Dale Proctor

Dale Proctor Utimate User

Jul 20, 2006
    Heart of Dixie
    I'll add that in a significant amount of the brass band music I've played, there is absolutely NO time to fog the bell before a muted part - in fact, sometimes there's not really time to even get the mute in there unless you are playing with your right hand and have the mute in your left, down near the bell so you can pop it in during that 1/8th beat rest...:lol:

3. ChinTurret

ChinTurret New Friend

Jun 8, 2015
    Northern Virginia
    I have no issues with a straight or cup mute when placed in the bell; corks hold fine. I have always fogged the bell when inserting a harmon mute. Seems that more surface needs a little help and the thin cork on a harmon doesn't tend to "squeeze" as much as the corks on a straight or cup mute.

4. crowmanic

crowmanic Mezzo Piano User

Nov 9, 2015
    Thank you rowuk. I'm going to try that.

5. crowmanic

crowmanic Mezzo Piano User

Nov 9, 2015
    I want to say thanks to everyone that contributed to my thread. I also want to share what I did with my old Harmon mute. I took the rubber tube of a bike tire. I located some ribbing on the tire, and cut it the width of the original calk. Then I stretched it over the needed area. When I insert it into the bell I give it a little "friction turn". It's been doing the adhesion job quite well. Maybe I'll try it on my cup mute; the one that's been falling out.

6. limepickle

limepickle Piano User

Aug 30, 2013
    Dallas, TX
    +1 on the Jo Ral corks. They are way better than plain corks. I've never had a problem with them. Humes and Berg also switched to the mixed corks on their new mutes.