Famed Attorney Johnnie Cochran Dead At 67

Discussion in 'TM Lounge' started by Anonymous, Mar 30, 2005.

1. Mikey

Mikey Forte User

Oct 24, 2003
    I don't wish a slow death on anybody, and dying from a brain tumor has to be agony.

But man, he was a schmuck. WE know OJ was guilty as sin, and this guy, with some help, got him off.

:cry:

2. bandman

bandman Forte User

Oct 16, 2004
    Lafayette, LA, USA
    "If it doesn't fit, you must acquit."

I thought he was one of the best lawyers I ever had the chance to see in action. We all have our opinions about some of his famous clients, espcially O.J. Simpson, but you have to admit that if you were in trouble this is a guy you would have wanted on your team.

3. Manny Laureano

Manny Laureano Utimate User

Sep 29, 2004
    USA
    Isn't it interesting how we are musical lawyers?

When we have a piece that we like our job as advocates is easy. When you don't like the piece but you still are obliged to play it you have to be the best defense lawyer the piece can have. If you don't, your reputation suffers for phoning it in.

So, the question is: did Cochran take the case because he thought OJ was innocent or because he thought he could get him off? I think the latter. I think he was counting on not enough evidence (hardly seems possible!), positive jury selection, and his own oratory talents.

ML

4. Tootsall

Tootsall Fortissimo User

Oct 25, 2003
    Yee HAW!
    Whatever.... let's not just start running around using his most famous quotation!!!!

5. The King of Swing

The King of Swing New Friend

Feb 24, 2005
    Wild Wild West
    RIP

[​IMG]

6. trumpetgirl612

trumpetgirl612 Pianissimo User

Mar 30, 2005
    practice room 5
    rip JC.....

7. Mr. Semman

Mr. Semman Pianissimo User

Jan 5, 2005
    West Brookfield, MA
    Having spent a lifetime as a police officer, I faced hundreds of lawyers, and at one time spent several years prior to that lifetime, as a criminal investigator for the state's public defender agency. Lawyers don't really care if their client is innocent or guilty. Their job is to provide the client with competent legal representation. The evidence and facts of a case is presented to either a judge or jury. They decide who wins.

Naturally, each attorney wants to win, and gives it their best shot. In the case of Johnny Cochran, he instilled enough "reasonable doubt" to win the case.

8. DaveH

DaveH Piano User

Nov 27, 2003
    It would have been interesting to see Vince Bugliosi on the Prosecution side of the room in regard to the OJ case...

However, given the totality of circumstances of that case, even Vince probably couldn't have won it, in spite of his abilities...

9. Mikey

Mikey Forte User

Oct 24, 2003
    The prosecution messed up big time. Letting OJ try on that glove was a big mistake. What was he supposed to say? "Aw, gee......This glove is just my size"........

:roll: