Fancy Equipment

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by screamingmorris, Oct 14, 2008.

1. screamingmorris

screamingmorris Mezzo Forte User

Apr 4, 2007
    Note:
    I accidently deleted my original post,
    but it told about how I made a slight change in my playing,
    and my range suddenly jumped up half an octave,
    so now I am able to play very soft scales up to Double C every day.

- Morris

Last edited: Oct 31, 2008
  2. Newguy

Newguy Pianissimo User

Mar 30, 2008
    Pittsburgh Area
    Congrats on the high crap!! Looking forward to autographed copy of new book when published!! When can we expect production of signature line of mouthpieces??

3. rowuk

rowuk Moderator Staff Member

Jun 18, 2006
    Germany
    Morris,
    I wish your body the strength to get back to "reasonable" health. That would increase your range even more!

4. BergeronWannabe

BergeronWannabe Piano User

Feb 6, 2007
    Congrats?? I think...:-?

5. screamingmorris

Apr 4, 2007
    Once I start squealing Double C's every day, I will concentrate on my next musical project:
    Learning to play music that is faster than quarter notes.
    A gray-haired guy has to have goals in life :D

- Morris

bigpapajosh likes this.
  6. mrmusicnotes

mrmusicnotes Piano User

Nov 11, 2007
    N.Y.C.
    Morris,I know your getting up in age and you still take your playing seriously.I just hope your taking an interest in your health as well.Having an interest in cardiovascular and strength conditioning will keep you playing better and longer.Your a great guy and your posts have helped me in the past.Please stay as well as you can.Oh, and congrats on the pig squeals!

7. screamingmorris

Apr 4, 2007
    Nobody has asked what I did to increase my range,
    so I will tell anyway.
    (Last night I actually played a very faint, just-barely-audible-from-behind-the-cornet scale up to Double C.)

I stopped playing trumpet after high school.
    At that time I could play a D above High C on a Bach 7C if I mashed my lip with maximum mouthpiece pressure.
    (I still *hate* Bach 7C and cannot do much with it.)

Jump ahead a few decades:
    About 6 years ago my wife surprised me with a $90 beat-up 1972 student-level Getzen 300.
    I played a High C within a minute of picking up the instrument, as though the decades had not taken away any of my range, although my stamina was completely gone and my lips gave out after about a minute of playing.

A couple of years ago I tried using the *minimum* mouthpiece pressure that Don Reinhardt and Bill Chase recommended.
    (Chase had used maximum mouthpiece pressure most of his life, but he had switched to minimum mouthpiece pressure the last few years of his life.)
    Using a Wick 4E I was soon playing scales up to High F.
    On rare occasions I would increase mouthpiece pressure and play higher,
    such as in April 2007 when I did a tiny squeal that I think was a Double C, but I usually was incapable of playing above High F or G.

About 3 weeks ago I was having trouble adjusting from one cornet I had been playing for a long time to another newer one of different bore size.
    I was hitting a wall above High C, even though I had been used to playing up to High F's.

I decided to taken my previous method to an extreme, one that is advocated by some teachers today, in an attempt to work through the sudden barrier:

I tried using even less mouthpiece pressure, just barely creating an air seal. (Because I am becoming so weak, that agreed more with my body's ability anyway.)

I tried breathing even less deeply than I usually do, just slightly deeper breath than I would normally take for regular non-trumpet breathing. (Because my illness limits my chest expansion and how deeply I can breathe, that agreed more with my body's ability anyway.)

I then played the scales just as softly as I could while still maintaining a steady tone.

By playing very softly with little air, I allowed my weak embouchure aperture (lip opening) to stay as tight and small as possible, helping the upper register.
    (Blasting lots of air through the embouchure while playing loudly forces the embouchure opening open, making the upper register more difficult.)

I no longer hit a wall at a certain note.
    My range tends to go higher and then fade away in a general range.
    As I go higher, the squeals become fainter until they disappear.

Of course, minimum mouthpiece pressure while playing very softly will only deliver a great upper register if you have already worked out the correct embouchure that you were born to play with.
    (I was born an upstream Type 4).

- Morris

Last edited: Oct 15, 2008
  8. RGood

RGood Piano User

Apr 20, 2008
    Deep in the heart of TX
    Morris -

Progress is good!

Right now my trumpet range is the same as my singing range...and that ain't good.....Old Johnny One Note is my song at this point......LOL

Good news is you are still playing. Keep at it!

Bob

9. Sauer

Sauer Pianissimo User

Mar 20, 2007
    I've been working on high pieces lately, when i warm up i dont play high, but when we get into music in band i like the high stuff. I got the chance to play up to a high F above C6 today and hit it very nicely, finally gettin the above c6 clear

10. screamingmorris

Apr 4, 2007
    Tonight I was again able to squeal very soft scales up to Double C a few times, using the Bach 7E on the Conn 5A cornet.

I was amazed at how close together the notes feel from High G to Double C.
    In a 1973 clinic, Maynard Ferguson said that it is easier to trill high notes than trill low notes because the high notes feel closer together.
    Now I discover just how close together those high notes do feel.

The irony is that in terms of frequency the high notes are actually farther apart.
    For example, one octave will be from 1,000 hertz to 2,000 hertz.
    Then the next octave will be from 2,000 hertz to 4,000 hertz.
    So in the lower octave a full step is approximately 1/8 of 1,000 hertz,
    while in the higher octave a full step is approximately 1/8 of 2,000 hertz.

So in terms of physics, the high notes are farther apart.
    But in terms of how they feel being played on a trumpet, the high notes feel much closer together.

*Very* strange.

BTW, I forgot to include this point in my original post:
    I am quite relaxed when playing the scales into the upper register.
    My embouchure is very tight, but the rest of my body remains very relaxed.

- Morris

Last edited: Oct 16, 2008