Fanfare trumpet and the SCA

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by Dark Knight, Jan 16, 2011.

1. Dark Knight

Dark Knight Pianissimo User

Apr 7, 2010
    Canada
    Hi. My wife has gotten involved with the SCA (Society for Creative Anachronism). I have been asked to herald in court at special events. I have no clue about fanfare trumpets nor period music for doing that. Is the trumpet on the eBAY link below a possibility. It list list as an "F" trumpet. No clue about that either.

Any advice on fanfare trumpets with no valves (and how the get one) and appropriate music would be great.

old natural trumpet Fanfare in F? - eBay (item 350348623921 end time Jan-26-11 07:35:04 PST)

Dark Knight

2. Ed Lee

Ed Lee Utimate User

Aug 16, 2009
    Jackson NC
    Looks to me just like a regulation bugle as were mostly manufactured in Key of G. New they cost about $100 (the last time I looked). Would be nice to play "TAPS" live with !
    I wouldn't bid higher than $40 for this one. They are made around the world.

Herald trumpets have a very extended bell ... long enough to hang a banner from. Kanstul makes them.

3. forrest

forrest Piano User

Aug 14, 2007
    St Louis MO
    That's just a run of the mill, crappy old Field Trumpet, maybe in the key of F but who knows. It's not worth $20, let alone the asking price AND $59 for shipping.

You can do much better than that piece.

Before I sank any amount of money into a horn for their ceremonies, I'd do some research and see what others use. I'm guessing a trumpet would be a good choice for a while. If you're standing in an unseen area, the looks of the horn shouldn't matter.

If interests continue, then consider purchasing a horn meant to be used - but that eBay item is not it.