Fantasize with me.

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by BrotherBACH, Feb 13, 2011.

1. BrotherBACH

BrotherBACH Piano User

Oct 5, 2010
    Yesterday, I walked into a very old small town music store on its last legs. There was a Saturday morning jam session of elderly fiddlers and guitarists and the owner was playing the piano. Literally says "I have no time for you now." I asked about trumpets he said just go look around in the back. So, I went to the back and there was plaster from the ceiling over all his trumpet cases. I opened them up to find some perfect condition student horns but each had new Mt. Vernon Mouthpieces in their holsters. My eyes buggered-out.

So, as I was leaving, he apologized that he had no time to sell anything because he was playing but said, "Come back Monday, I have all kinds trumpets and mouthpieces in the basement I want to get rid of."

I can hardly sleep. At the very least, it may be an inexpensive way to get a second horn to travel with so I don't have to risk my Strad. But…. my imagination is running wild tonight at what hidden treasure I might find.

What do you think might be waiting in the basement?

Or, what would "you" like to find down there?

BrotherBACH

2. Kujo20

Kujo20 Forte User

Sep 29, 2010
    How about a couple boxes full of trumpet/flugelhorn mouthpieces? Or...what would be really nice is a Conn Coprion trumpet or cornet (A nice 12B maybe?)

Have fun! Let's us know what you find!

Kujo

3. Kujo20

Kujo20 Forte User

Sep 29, 2010
    Oh, and a nice rotary flugel...cause I'm looking for one of those!

Kujo

4. bobd0

bobd0 Piano User

Jan 10, 2009
    LOL I just checked your profile hoping you had your city listed and it was nearby, fantasizing I could figure out what music store it is and get there before you tomorrow morning.

But no such luck. :-(

I'd hope to find some nice "new old stock" Eb alto horns or mellophones in that basement. So please report what you find, especially if there are any Eb alto horns or mellophones lying around that he wants to get rid of.

I'm going to get some sleep now and dream of brand new 75 year old horns lying around in a basement somewhere just waiting for me to find them. :woop:

5. tobylou8

tobylou8 Utimate User

Dec 22, 2008
    Virginia
    WHERE DO YOU LIVE? I want to help! I love old music stores and picking through stuff. Maybe a NOS Martin Committee from the '40's!!

6. forrest

forrest Piano User

Aug 14, 2007
    St Louis MO
    I think it's just a fantasy he posted.

Probably not real.

7. leftmid7

leftmid7 Mezzo Piano User

Sep 21, 2010
    Franklin, TN
    Regardless, take pictures and post them!

8. MTROSTER

MTROSTER Piano User

Jan 25, 2007
    Canada
    If you find a natural trumpet made in about 1740 somewhere in Germany, let me know. i've always wanted to try and play one of those.:thumbsup:

9. BrotherBACH

BrotherBACH Piano User

Oct 5, 2010
    OK. I am sorry to report that I found nothing but some 2 year student trumpets that he would give me for $150. The shop owner was seriously impaired. I mean that in an honest and sincere way. He could not remember where he put anything. We looked for a half-hour here kept his box of mouthpieces. All the time he was muttering taking the 10 to Tuscon and how beautiful the canyon was. It was sad. I just said thank you for your time and left.

The whole experience was like buying a lottery ticket. Imagining was the next best thing to reality.

BrotherBACH

10. kcmt01

kcmt01 Mezzo Forte User

Sep 25, 2009
    Polson, MT
    A gold plated Holton Stratodyne, special order that nobody picked up.