Fantastic New Adam Rapa Performance

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by Tjnaples, Jan 13, 2015.

1. Tjnaples

Tjnaples Piano User

Aug 30, 2013
    Hawaii
    So good I had to post it here at TM! It is interesting to see him apply his 4th valve to classical music!!

http://youtu.be/wPV7SwpDNVc

2. bumblebee

bumblebee Fortissimo User

Jan 21, 2010
    Great Southern Land
    I like that -- and I also like it that as good as Mr Rapa is, I don't think he is showing up the ensemble trumpeters/players either - they all sound top notch to me.

--bumblebee

3. Gxman

Gxman Piano User

Jan 21, 2010
    So what was that meant to be?

I listened to the original version, and Adam Rapas version is like some off-beat/syncopated classical piece? That totally wrecked a good piece of music.

4. bumblebee

bumblebee Fortissimo User

Jan 21, 2010
    Great Southern Land
    Do you have a link to the original version you refer to? I'd be interested in comparing -- I don't think I've heard this Clarinet Concerto before (so had no preconceptions).

Thanks,
    --bumblebee

(I found this version which seems to be a fairly standard delivery:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g_VMCadMpjU )

5. jaemard

jaemard Mezzo Piano User

Jul 2, 2012
    San Rafael, CA
    Damn! That was some excellent playing.

6. Tjnaples

Tjnaples Piano User

Aug 30, 2013
    Hawaii
    o_O

7. Gxman

Gxman Piano User

Jan 21, 2010
    Bumblebee, maybe I did not mean Original as the 'original' piece, but meaning more in the context of the way it would normally sound, played as written originally or whatever.

The link you provided sounds fine to me (that is what I would call original)

Adam Rapa's version (the drum at start) makes it all syncopated... like a Classical Piece played in rock n roll format, it just kills it.

His playing was good... but the rest was like a soup thrown together with wrong ingredients.

8. jiarby

jiarby Fortissimo User

May 7, 2011
    Arizona
  9. edfitzvb

edfitzvb Forte User

Jun 10, 2008
    Woodlawn, VA
    Gxman, you are entitled to your opinion. There are those who feel like anything but faithful reproduction of the piece in its original format is adulteration, and those who feel that individual moods should be expressed through interpretation. I can see both arguments and am grateful for differences, and having both to choose from, according to my mood.

10. just

just Pianissimo User

Dec 26, 2013
    Everywhere
    Fantastic.