Fantasy Basketball challenge

Discussion in 'TM Lounge' started by BAM, Jan 28, 2004.

1. BAM

BAM New Friend

Oct 26, 2003
    For those NBA fans: Go to Sportingnews.com and join the fantasy basketball league I have formed for our trumpet friends. All you have to do is scroll down on the left of the main page and under Fantasy games, select "basic fantasy hoops season 2". From there you will be directed how to form your team. When prompted for a league to join, type in "TrumpetMaster", and we will be on our way. It is free to join, and stands to have great bragging rights for those on TMs sight. Enjoy. League starts after the all star break...around 2/17 I believe.

BAM

2. FlugelFlyer

FlugelFlyer Piano User

Dec 15, 2003
    Palos Park, IL
    I don't know if I have the time, but I'll check into it. I'm definately interested.

BTW, points or roto based scoring?

3. Anonymous

Anonymous Forte User

Oct 21, 2003
    Ok for the league name type in "TrumpetMaster" the old one didn't seem to work.

Set up your account and the League you want to join is TrumpetMaster.

Flugel don't give me that. You are going to have to Make the Time! :D

:D

4. BAM

BAM New Friend

Oct 26, 2003
    flugel- man up, it's time to seperate the men from the boys. Thevor, where you at, I want to see you in this. Romey, I know you're an MLB fan, but I'd like to see you in this as well. Best of luck gentlemen.

BAM

5. Thevor

Thevor Pianissimo User

Oct 24, 2003
    Next to the Volcano
    I love MLB, Soccer, Pro Football and any thing that gets me going but honestly.... basketball will have to become a sport before I watch the NBA.

After years of enduring the Blazers and Sonics.... well those two words speak volumes.

Oh, did I mention that I was a wrestler.......... we just don't do BBALL.

Thanks it sounds fun.

6. BAM

BAM New Friend

Oct 26, 2003
    Thevor- Need I remind you of those '77 Blazers that won it all under the helm of Jack Ramsey, with Bill Walton at center? It's time to cowboy up son.

7. Thevor

Thevor Pianissimo User

Oct 24, 2003
    Next to the Volcano
    Ahhh, 1977, a time when the Blazer's weren't a street gang and things were "Red Hot -n- Rollin'" for Portland. The Rose Garden had been filled with sold out capacity crowds for years and a players loyality to a team was still considered a virtue.

Since Paul Allen purchased the Blazers the team has been horrible. the in-fighting amoung players, coaches and players in and out like a revolving door and a complete alienation of the fans by the ownership have lead to the decline. Now why would I want to watch that? Not to mention the thugs that are playing.

Paul allen owns the Seahawks too and they have the same pathetic problems. I guess buying prima donnas at excessive prices still can't buy championships.

This cowboy got bucked off and until the name of the horse, "Paul Allen" changes, I ain't gettin' back on.

Besides basketball still a....... never mind..... back to the golf game on TV.

8. BAM

BAM New Friend

Oct 26, 2003
    Thevor- A few notes about the Blazers- 1st off, it was the Memorial Coliseum that was always flooded with fans, not the Rose Garden. THe Rose garden was only built in the mid to late 90s. Secondly, The Blazers did go to the NBA Finals in both 90 and 92, Paul Allen was the owner during both those runs. So, I wouldn't blame Paul Allen on the BlaZers/seahawks lack of success...The SEahawks did make the playoffs this year which was a first in quite a while...i may put more of the SEahakws blame on Holmgren, who had a Super bowl winning quarterback (Dilfer) riding the pine for the past few seasons, while playing an idiot QB who says as we win the OT toss against Green Bay, "We'll receive and we're going to score!" ...then proceeds to lose the game with an interception. Sports is sports, thugs or no thugs, win or lose. Man up, join the fantasy league.

BAM

9. Thevor

Thevor Pianissimo User

Oct 24, 2003
    Next to the Volcano
    BAM,

You're correct I was remembering the Coliseum not the Rose Garden. The Trail Blazers played 1,093 games in 25 years at the Coliseum, including 71 post-season playoff contests, nine games in the NBA Finals, and one World Championship. Upon leaving the Coliseum, the Trail Blazers had sold out 810 consecutive regular season and playoff games, a record unmatched by any franchise in professional sports. The Blazers moved into the Rose Garden in the 1995-96 season.

Now for Paul Allen, what changed with Portland to cause such a demise. Until 1977 the Blazers had been only an average NBA team but had great fan support. The fans put up with lousy coaching and sometimes a mediocre Blazer team but they loved their bball. When did this start to turn around, when Paul Allen bought the team and started throwing his money around for a championship. The new fans, ones that weren't dedicated like the old guard fans wanted a championship once Allen got on board. He bought some great players but they just couldn't get over the hump. The new breed of fans became disinfranchised quickly, the old guard fans had been shoved aside by this new type of ownership thinking. Now Portland doesn't enjoy the same fan support that they once knew.

Paul Allen has done the same with the SeaHawks, Holgrem is nothing more than a symptom of the Allen plague on NW sports. Again, the Hawks never enjoyed great seasons but they were a blast to watch. Remember the days when Efrin Hererra would throw the ball instead of kick..... dang that was fun. When Allen bought the team, Seattle fans lost the connection between the team being "theirs" and now just another set of guys each year bought to win a championship.

This is the problem with pro sports in general. There is no connection between the fans and the team any more. Look at the Mariners this year, guys that you hated to face (and loved to hate) are now playing on "your" team. How do you find loyalty when the guy you disliked and was an enemy is now on your team. When the Mets picked up Mike Cameron, the Seattle fans loved this guy, how do you dislike a team that might have one of your favorite players on it., its simple you don't.

10. BAM

BAM New Friend

Oct 26, 2003
    Thevor- Wow. Bravo on your last post. Bravo. I see you've done your research...I like that. Yeah, don't get me started on the MAriners dealings...arguably getting rid of the 3 best players in MLB in 3 consecutive seasons?!! (Griffey, the big unit, A-Rod). I do have to say however, since Paul Allen's tenure as the Trailblazers owner, the Trailblazers have made the playoffs 18 or 19 consecutive times, tops in all sports except maybe hockey or some wussy sport like that. You say we never quite got over the hump, but I may remind you that in 89-90 we faced a Pistons team comprised of Laimbeer, Isiaih Thomas, Vinnie Johnson, John Salley, Joe Dumars, and Mark Aguire...a team that won consecutive championships during their run. In 92 we faced a Chicago Bulls squad that had a certain player named MJ along with John Paxson, Scottie Pippen, Bill Cartwright, BJ Armstrong... Clyde, Jerome, Terry, Duckworth, and Buck gave it one hell of a run, and I don't think I would consider either of those years a dissapointment...quite the contrary my friend. In fact, had a few things gone our way, we could have had a couple of rings... Danny Young's half court shot against the pistons counting, or Jordan not going crazy for 50 some points. But hey, that's the way the ball bounces. The Blazers current state is a little more dissapointing, but as proven by the 90 and 92 season as well as 18 consecutive playoff runs, I don't think we can blame it all on Paul Allen. In closing, join the damn fantasy league, I respect your limited sports knowledge, and would like some competition.