Farkas

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by anthony, Oct 9, 2015.

1. anthony

anthony Mezzo Piano User

Mar 3, 2009
    Hi in the Farkas book "The Art of Brass playing " he Farkas mentioned in a chapter on how the old German brass teachers used to have their students play a note correctly and center the pitch by saying " Ha" before the note is played a slight push of air and the correct tone is played .I know this is being kind of a pain but my teacher said to use "Fa" instead ........oh never mind:shhh:

2. kehaulani

kehaulani Fortissimo User

May 14, 2011
    Hawaian homey
    I can only say "fa" when my upper teeth touch my lower lip. That puts my lips, vertically, out of position. You better get clarification from your teacher. Hopefully you're not communicating vs. his suggesting putting your lips in an unconventional position.

FWIW, my main teacher had me regularly play an exercise out of the Arban book, huffing the notes (and placing them correctly, pitch and tone-wise in the process).

3. tobylou8

tobylou8 Utimate User

Dec 22, 2008
    Virginia
    I was taught Ta! Well now we have Hafata.

4. kehaulani

May 14, 2011
    Hawaian homey
    I think that was Arafat's nickname.

5. stumac

stumac Fortissimo User

Oct 19, 2008
    Flinders Vic Australia
    The German teachers referred to probably taught the old fashioned inset embouchure where the rim of the mouthpiece is placed in the red of the lower lip, requires a different approach to initiating the note. My horn teacher who learned prior to WW2 played like this.

Regards, Stuart.

6. rowuk

rowuk Moderator Staff Member

Jun 18, 2006
    Germany
    "ha" is a way to "ignite" the lips without articulation. This trains the ability to start notes without a pressure shock. The old german masters then added articulation to shape the note. The lips were very cooperative this way and lower tension embouchures were possible. I teach this way.

7. kehaulani

May 14, 2011
    Hawaian homey
    Einsetzen embouchure?

8. Peter McNeill

Peter McNeill Utimate User

Jan 30, 2009
    Melbourne Australia
    Gesundheit!

9. trumpetsplus

trumpetsplus Fortissimo User

Jun 11, 2006
    South Salem, NY
    I also teach this way. I find that beginners taught to start notes with their tongue, Ta, often close their throat. School bands end up sounding like a bunch of chickens! Their note shape gets to be like "Tug, Tug, Tug....."

rowuk likes this.
  10. rowuk

rowuk Moderator Staff Member

Jun 18, 2006
    Germany
    Actually independent of "Einsetzen" or "Ansetzen". Einsetzen more or less anchored the mouthpiece into the lower lip providing a great deal of room for the upper lip. I know of tuba players doing this today. It seems to help them with the extreme lower register. Ansetzen is more of a trumpet type embouchure where the mouthpiece is on the front of both lips. In either case, the idea is that the lips start vibrating without needing a kickstart.