Farkas

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by anthony, Oct 9, 2015.

1. anthony

anthony Mezzo Piano User

Mar 3, 2009
    So it is "Ha " thank you Rowuk

2. rowuk

rowuk Moderator Staff Member

Jun 18, 2006
    Germany
    If you can get the lips to ignite with AAAAAAAAAH, it is even better!

3. fels

fels Piano User

Jun 8, 2008
    Colorado Springs
    I do not have an opinion about the particular syllable used -- In the mid 80s I took lessons (as a come-backer) from the Principal of the local symphony. His first question was how i normally begin play. After i played a Clark in the low register, he requested that i start every practice with long tones beginning every tone with what he called a "breath attack." No specific syllable.

Over the years i have found the "breath attack" very beneficial for air stream and breathing. it is also useful when playing specific passages where entrance is subtle. Obviously it requires thought and core support.

4. anthony

anthony Mezzo Piano User

Mar 3, 2009
    Rowuk
    AHHHHHHH is even better? than Ha? with Ahhhh is the throat more open? Do you teach using Ahhhhh? Thank you Anthony

5. rowuk

Jun 18, 2006
    Germany
    I teach inhale/exhale without conscious extra pressure. That is essentially an AAAAAAAAAAH. Naturally, when we start making music, we need more variation in pressure than exhale can offer, but there are good and bad ways to get this. Before we start working on pressure, the lips ignite freely, our breathing is in sync with our embouchure and the rhythm of the music as well as the attack for the first note. This is like a baby learning to walk. First they need enough balance, then they kind of wobble their way around, eventually they can walk fluidly. Later they learn to run, jump, speedwalk, tiptoe. It is the same with playing. We need to get the basics, we are wobbly at first, finally we can walk. Loud or high then relate to running and jumping with special additional technique required.

6. Dennis78

Dennis78 Fortissimo User

Feb 1, 2015
    Cincinnati
    Maybe I'm stupid but I always thought that you only tongue notes with dots or other various dynamic markings, and you just breath out notes to start. Of course light tounging to separate unslurred passages. Or have I missed completely what the OP is about. I can't get anything out by saying Fa

7. rowuk

Jun 18, 2006
    Germany
    Dennis,
    there is a bunch of concepts being presented here. "Fa" is a method of mechanically stopping the lips from vibrating. It is nothing that I would teach, but I know those that do. It takes practice...........

8. anthony

anthony Mezzo Piano User

Mar 3, 2009
    Thank you again Rowuk for your answers, Anthony