"Fast Air

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by anthony, Dec 30, 2014.

1. anthony

anthony Mezzo Piano User

Mar 3, 2009
    I have been trying to play higher notes but K can only get up to G above staff, just barely making A. So I was told you need " fast air " to get up to the higher notes. Where can I get this " fast air" from. EBay, Amazon or maybe Sam Ash? Thanks Anthony

2. VetPsychWars

VetPsychWars Fortissimo User

Nov 8, 2006
    Greenfield WI
    It's just another visualization metaphor for a smaller aperture.

Tom

3. tobylou8

tobylou8 Utimate User

Dec 22, 2008
    Virginia
    It can be purchased anywhere air compressors are sold!! :roll::roll::roll:

4. kingtrumpet

kingtrumpet Utimate User

Sep 20, 2009
    New York State USA
    It is purchased with 1, 000's of hours of practice time on your horn - there are no shortcuts. ((And dont ever reduce air going through a 3/4" line down to an 1/8" diameter line - cause something might happen to the speed or pressure of the original air)) - but this is far beyond your amusing context of your thread

5. Phil986

Phil986 Forte User

Nov 16, 2009
    Near Portland, OR.
    Oh boy! We've just been down that (rocky) road. Practice, don't obsess over high notes, worry more about making what you play more musical. High notes will come if you practice. Then later, you can focus more that if you want.

6. kingtrumpet

kingtrumpet Utimate User

Sep 20, 2009
    New York State USA
    Solid low notes and low register playing will also come with practice time --

7. anthony

anthony Mezzo Piano User

Mar 3, 2009
    So true everyone just practice till kingdom come in low register and pray to St.Gabriel God`s:play:1st. horn man to play high C "

8. gordonfurr1

gordonfurr1 Forte User

Aug 2, 2010
    North Carolina
    You can buy it in a small can now...
    No need for a bulky compressor.
    Keeps your electronics dust-free, too!

9. kinetic711

kinetic711 Piano User

Sep 15, 2014
    North Eastern Ont, Canada
    I read this quote by the great Bud Brisbois about the air required for playing in the upper register. He said, "when I play a high C, I use, let's say, a tablespoon full of air. When I play a high G, I use a half tablespoon of air. When I play a double high C, I use a teaspoon full of air. When I play a G above double high C, I use a half teaspoon full of air." He was then asked, "why does it look like everyone is working harder and harder as they ascend into the upper register?" Bud simply answered, "well, if they are playing correctly, their body is working harder to create the needed compression to move a smaller volume of air faster.
    Here is a short sound clip of Bud putting his theory into practice.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h1FRhas68nE

10. VetPsychWars

VetPsychWars Fortissimo User

Nov 8, 2006
    Greenfield WI
    Actually, if you read the text in some of those low note flow kinda books, they'll point out that low register playing will help high register playing, because you're making your lip more flexible, and since you need some way of making your lip vibrate more easily at high frequencies, you need the most flexibility you can get.

Tom