"Fast Air

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by anthony, Dec 30, 2014.

1. anthony

anthony Mezzo Piano User

Mar 3, 2009
    Yes Tom you are correct about the low notes I do agree with you. I also read that pedal notes are good for working the chops to help with getting you up there. Thanks Anthony

2. gordonfurr1

gordonfurr1 Forte User

Aug 2, 2010
    North Carolina
    My lips are incredibly flexible.
    Sadly...that's ALL they are.

3. gmonady

gmonady Utimate User

Jan 28, 2011
    Dayton, Ohio
    Got a special going and can sell you fast air for $1.97 per molecule. Multiply that by Avogadro's number, and you got yourself a deal!

4. gmonady

gmonady Utimate User

Jan 28, 2011
    Dayton, Ohio
  5. gmonady

gmonady Utimate User

Jan 28, 2011
    Dayton, Ohio
    So blow LESS air to play higher. There you have it... LESS is Higher.

6. anthony

anthony Mezzo Piano User

Mar 3, 2009
    So I use less air for higher notes ......OK I will try Thank you :thumbsup:

7. anthony

anthony Mezzo Piano User

Mar 3, 2009
    Hi Dr.Mark thank you very much Anthony

8. rowuk

rowuk Moderator Staff Member

Jun 18, 2006
    Germany
    I suggest ignoring advice for playing high notes that comes from those that have never seen and heard you play.

Fast air is a term to try and reduce a complex group of things so that the layman can understand it. The problem is that they don't understand it and they don't get more range because there is quite a bit "wrong" if a trumpet player comes to the internet to get range.

Just to compare it to something, how do we drive a car "fast"? Reduce that complex situation to one parameter and you see why simplification does not necessarily lead to usable results.

So, you are asking the wrong questions if you are really interested in getting range. First of all someone needs to look at your playing and tell YOU what you are currently doing wrong. They also need to get you into a routine designed to let your playing evolve.

There have been many lengthy threads on fast air. There is no need to chew through the physics and misconceptions again as they do not lead to better playing. You really need to spend time with someone that plays trumpet the way that you would like to!

9. tobylou8

tobylou8 Utimate User

Dec 22, 2008
    Virginia
    And if held the wrong way during use, it will also yield a cryogenic spot treatment! ;-)

10. anthony

anthony Mezzo Piano User

Mar 3, 2009
    No. ......gmonady told me how less air higher notes !