"Fast Air

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by anthony, Dec 30, 2014.

1. musicman1951

musicman1951 New Friend

Dec 9, 2014
    Albany, NY
    A combination of:
    1. Smaller aperture - smaller in both directions.
    2. Blowing faster air (more compression from abs)
    3. Lift tip of tongue - some players think "ee" (the same thing your tongue does when you whistle from a low note to a high note).

Do not lift the back of your tongue!!!!!

2. kingtrumpet

kingtrumpet Utimate User

Sep 20, 2009
    New York State USA
    I think GM might have meant --- less air going through a smaller but very relaxed aperture, but with, perhaps more emphasis on the air force ----- and getting the feel for it by clenching your abdominal muscles, so much so, that you feel the note in your tukas ----- some people understand what I mean, other think I'm crazy ---- but when you feel that note back there, it usually comes out the horn ------IF AND ONLY IF --- you have done the necessary preparation in the embouchure, and technique, and everything else

3. rowuk

rowuk Moderator Staff Member

Jun 18, 2006
    Germany
    We have been through this, in great depth. As the air quantity goes down with the increase of pressure, the air is not faster when playing higher. Faster air is only a simple visualization to help players. It doesn't generally work as a concept because the limiting factor for most players is not air speed or pressure, rather the inability of the lips to open and close faster (vibrate) due to mechanical limitations like armstrong. The aperature must be free to change during playing before any other measures are taken. This usually means that players lose a lot of range and endurance because pressure worked for a while and the other parameters got used to having it.

Tongue arch is another hot potato where I won't recommend anything without working with the player one on one. I do use it to a degree myself and the back of the tongue raises -the tongue arches!

4. musicman1951

musicman1951 New Friend

Dec 9, 2014
    Albany, NY
    If you are having trouble getting higher than a G at the top of the staff - as stated by the OP - you have air speed issues. It's always a good idea to get as many private lessons as your wallet will allow, but to suggest that no useful information can be found on-line negates the reason many people are on-line.

Ulimately you end up teaching yourself. Most of my first year players can play to the top of the staff - it's not rocket science, but it is science. Where is your set point (the note you set your chops for before you place the mouthpiece)? Many students start with a first line E set point and never change it as they progress. It's much easier to open the chops for a lower note than to close them once you place the mouthpiece. That's the first place I'd check for the lack of air speed.

Good luck on your journey.

5. Ed Lee

Ed Lee Utimate User

Aug 16, 2009
    Jackson NC
    I kinda doubt all the references to "abs" as following surgical graft of abdominal aorta and implant of net to hold my gut all together I do not have a conscious control of abs any longer, yet as I take a full breath they seem to function naturally enough for me to blow a solid D# above the staff. If notes are needed above that I'll switch to my piccolo trumpet.