Fast lip slurs = tired tongue?

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by Myshilohmy, Jan 24, 2012.

1. Myshilohmy

Myshilohmy Pianissimo User

Jan 6, 2009
    Indiana
    I just got back from a weekend with drum corps and for a while we focused on not moving the jaw when we did lip slurs. We felt it with our hands and sang it to see if it moved. The main focus was to do the lip slur with your tongue, not your face.

Today I was working on some flexibility in the Arban's Book (the lip slur that goes from quarter notes, to eighth notes, eighth note triplets, sixteenth notes, sixteenth note sextuplets) and after doing that for a bit VERY slow (around 70 bpm) or so, I felt my tongue getting tired. Does this mean I was doing it correctly? It's the first time I've had it happen to me.

2. BrassEye

BrassEye Pianissimo User

Sep 9, 2011
    Yes, it sounds like it. Very good exercise, that. Keep working on it.

3. kingtrumpet

kingtrumpet Utimate User

Sep 20, 2009
    New York State USA
    seems that way -- if you don't feel it -- then it's not working!!!!!! or something like that, I think!!! ROFL ROFL ROFL

4. DaTrump

DaTrump Forte User

Oct 21, 2011
    Huntsville, Texas
    What corps are you in?

5. Myshilohmy

Myshilohmy Pianissimo User

Jan 6, 2009
    Indiana
    This is my second year in Carolina Crown.

6. gmonady

gmonady Utimate User

Jan 28, 2011
    Dayton, Ohio
    See Lesson 5 in the clip below. Tongue position is helpful and if you are fatiguing the tongue, it is likely you are fighting against the wrong position.

Nick Drozdoff: Online Lessons

7. Bob Grier

Bob Grier Forte User

May 4, 2007
    Greensboro, NC
    To do lip slurs you need to use the air. let the air do the work. Yes, the tongue does inter into it but too much focus on just the tongue and it will work against you. Practice blowing THROUGH to the next note. It should just pop out if you use the air correctly. Exercise #22 on page 44 of the Arban should only be done after you have mastered the exercises starting on page 42 with #17. When you can play the exercises up to the top tempo markings then you go to the next exercise and so on.

8. DaTrump

DaTrump Forte User

Oct 21, 2011
    Huntsville, Texas
    Oh my goodness, let me get the drool off my face.....okay and I'm back. But yeah, I thought so, Crown, Devils, Cavi's and Crossmen all do the lockjaw thing. I personally don't like it but tell that to 2nd, 3rd and 4th place. I'm so excited to see what Crown is up to this year!

9. rowuk

rowuk Moderator Staff Member

Jun 18, 2006
    Germany
    For me, more proof of irresponsibility in the marching scene. I disagree with moving everything to the tongue. Perhaps that works for some, but it is NOT a universal recipe for anything except desaster. I just imagine the wasted effort and energy of trying to immobilize the jaw..........

That being said, new habits take their toll until the new movement patterns are second nature.

10. garmeth

garmeth New Friend

Dec 4, 2010
    You hear alottttt of stuff in marching band. For instance we had this come in for us and said that the proper volume to play at when the loudest part of the song comes is that you should use ALL of your air within two counts at 120 tempo. I don't even think thats possible -_- let alone while sounding good. My marching band is really good too in high school (we placed around 20 at grand nationals) but I don't like it anymore because all I'm told to do is blast.