Fast lip slurs = tired tongue?

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by Myshilohmy, Jan 24, 2012.

1. Phil986

Phil986 Forte User

Nov 16, 2009
    Near Portland, OR.
    That Arban exercise is part of my daily routine, it is very beneficial. My teacher advocates plenty of jaw motion for a relaxed modulation of shape. Greg Spence argues for the concept of shape (see the sticky Trumpet traps, frustration etc) but I don't recall him advising to consciously minimize jaw motion. So far I am very impressed with Greg's stuff, even only what he puts out for free, which is already a good bunch of instruction and contains the important stuff. It has been more helpful to me than anything I have ever seen in writing or over the intertubes. In fact it's the only info of that kind that I have ever found helpful.

2. gmonady

gmonady Utimate User

Jan 28, 2011
    Dayton, Ohio
    The price that is paid for being outstanding in your field... football field that is? The question is... is it really worth it? Sounds like you came to a realization you can live with.

3. DaTrump

DaTrump Forte User

Oct 21, 2011
    Huntsville, Texas
    I agree, it is an awful technique to teach but there is thought behind it. When you play with an immobilized jaw, you are not tempted to closing up the soft palette. The ultimate goal of this technique is to be really really loud and not be lazer like, it allows you to move large quantities of air without difficulty. However the draw back is that fine tuning technique is lost. But, it seems to work for them. I am not advocating it, I would never use this idea, or recommend it, just stating the thought behind it. I understand that marching band is not appealing to many people but if you ever get the opportunity to watch a DCI event live, or even just watch them warm-up, take it. You literally FEEL the air vibrate.

4. rowuk

rowuk Moderator Staff Member

Jun 18, 2006
    Germany
    What does the jaw have to do with the soft palette? Nothing! Moving air is a function of EMBOUCHURE - the lips vibrating efficiently and turning moving air into sound (actually exciting the standing wave in the trumpet). Fine tuning is not limited - that is a function of HEARING yourself. These reasons are pure BS. Winning happens through the selection process. The lockjaw is ONLY there to keep the trumpets all at the same angle for every player. It is of no other benefit.

5. BrassEye

BrassEye Pianissimo User

Sep 9, 2011
    Just to clarify, I meant that the Arban exercise was good. This lockjaw thing sounds horrific.

6. DaTrump

DaTrump Forte User

Oct 21, 2011
    Huntsville, Texas
    In the position they lock the jaw the in, the soft palette is big and tall allowing for maximum airflow and then their tongue creates the compression they need. In my band, and a vast majority of other drum corps, they do not use this technique, so it is not to keep them all at same angle.

Last edited: Jan 26, 2012
    codyb226 likes this.
  7. Branson

Branson Piano User

Jan 16, 2011
    Does this mean I was doing it correctly?

NO!

The tongue is a muscle and muscles get tired as do all muscles. Be sure not to over do your workouts.

8. Bob Grier

Bob Grier Forte User

May 4, 2007
    Greensboro, NC