Fast Slides

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by rikrdo, Oct 18, 2005.

1. rikrdo

rikrdo New Friend

Mar 9, 2004
    Sunny So Cal
    Well ...
    Thanks for ALL the great advice.
    I dont want to say what kind of horn I currently have because of all the past flames but....

I have played Yamaha, Benge, Callichio and Olds in the the past and I ALWAYS have had these problems.

I wouldnt say Im fanatical about cleaning my horns but they are not ever dirty by any means.

I guess the point of my post is how can I get the slides (1 & 3) fast and how can I keep them, that way? I play maybe 1-2 hrs a week and the horn in question is only 1 1/2 yrs old. Ive researced a little and found, it seems 100's of different methods. My style doesnt work for me so I am searching. I currently use Binak Slide grease cut with their oil.

Ive seen Lanolin, car oil, transmission oil...and now Vitamin E.
    I think maybe the tolerences are just so close that I need to spend more time playing and maybe they are just not broken in yet. Who knows???

Thanks again everybody!! I love this site.

(OK....I am currently playing a Kanstul made horn...in case this helps the discussion)

2. Manny Laureano

Manny Laureano Utimate User

Sep 29, 2004
    USA
    You got flamed for using a Kanstul? Why on earth?

ML

3. rikrdo

rikrdo New Friend

Mar 9, 2004
    Sunny So Cal
    One word........ZEUS!!!
    And BTW... I was digging thru one on my old gig bags (20 + yrs old) and found some Roche -Thomas Trombone Slide cream...
    AWESOME !!!
    No more sticky slides.
    And Manny...
    I PROMISE TO START PRACTICING MORE!!!

Playing with Lee Morgan.....Totem Pole

4. RoccoNut16v

RoccoNut16v New Friend

Oct 11, 2005
    Texas
    I'm big on Breakfree gun oil with Teflon. That stuff works like you wouldn't believe! It's very light, very fast, and stays on for quite a long time.

5. trickg

trickg Utimate User

Oct 26, 2003
    Baltimore/DC
    I realize this is off topic, but there is really nothing wrong with the ZeuS trumpets themselves. I've played a couple of them and they are well built, decent playing trumpets. Each one was as good as my Strad - maybe not better, but as good as.

The problem was that they were heavily advertised as being something that they aren't, and the controversy was started on purpose as a means to promote instrument sales - which it did.

But the trumpets themselves? Decent design, (Elkhart Strad copies, more or less) nice playing, solid trumpets, and priced well below many trumpets of the same caliber. (Edit - I just checked out the site and it seems that the price of ZeuS trumpets has gone up a bit so they aren't quite as affordable as they once were.)

6. Bugler997

Bugler997 Pianissimo User

Mar 22, 2005
    VA
    Haha, yeah, it annoys me when someone gets on my ass about intonation ("It's that damn mouthpiece your using!"), when he doesn't push out for 1-2, and *does* push out for 2-3!!!

Anyway, some players have unique problems. Your slides hardly work, from trumpet to trumpet. My spit valve springs always corrode after a year or two...