Faster Fingers

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by alant, Feb 23, 2012.

1. alant

alant Pianissimo User

Aug 18, 2009
    Rochdale UK
    Can anyone suggets good material or practice rountines to train the fingers too be faster.

2. Ness

Ness New Friend

Nov 3, 2011
    Pick up Clarke's Technical Studies for the Cornet and do the exercises from there. It's helped me A LOT in the last few months. Start slow at first (as slow as you have to go to do them comfortably) and work on ACCURACY. Fast fingers aren't worth anything if you don't hit the right notes with them. Work on scales and arpeggios (especially chromatic scales). If you're busy sitting at the DMV, riding a bus, laying in bed and can't get to sleep, etc. then move your 3 fingers to scales and stuff (or if you're sitting in a rehearsal you can do this on your instrument without actually playing). Hope these tips help- I'm nowhere near an expert, but they've helped me improve.

3. Phil986

Phil986 Forte User

Nov 16, 2009
    Near Portland, OR.
    Clarke, Kopprasch, plenty of others I'm sure.

4. Chuck Cox

Chuck Cox Forte User

Oct 3, 2008
    Cary NC
    There's nothing as sweet as ripping through 2 octaves of chromatic scales. Comes in handy too.

5. chapmand

chapmand Piano User

Jul 26, 2010
    Edmonton, Alberta
    I think the key to speed is a metronome. You must keep track of what you are practicing and at what tempo. This way you can logically move forward. Ie: I can play this exercise perfectly at 80bpm, now I'll work on it at 84bpm. Etc. small increments are best. I do this personally and I do this with my bands. The first time it may tak a few attempts to find out where you are at, but after that it is simply a matter of starting where you left off. Remember, too, that if you falter at any speed you must back the metronome off until you are again flawless. Consider this as over-training (not a set-back).
    Good luck.

6. rowuk

rowuk Moderator Staff Member

Jun 18, 2006
    Germany
    Speed is the process of recalling patterns of motion. To train and commit these patterns to habit, we need hundreds to thousands of repetition. Good habits from the get go mean that we don't have to relearn them later.

The first patterns that any player should learn are scales, first the major scales, then the minor, then the modal. These are available for free on the internet and get the player started. In addition, there are finger twisters from Arban, Clarke, St. Jacome, Kopprasch, Schlossberg, Vizzutti, Brandt and many others. None are "better" than the others, but the Clarke and Arban are the most "popular".

The key is in the quantity and quality of the repetitions however. I personally prefer the St. Jacome velocity studies. They start with a pattern and then go through the various mutations (straight eighths, dotted eighth/16th, syncopations, ...). That seems to correspond with how my brain and that of many of my students works. Clarke is standard literature. If we add the mutations, they too can move one forward quickly.

7. gmonady

gmonady Utimate User

Jan 28, 2011
    Dayton, Ohio
    ANYTHING bebop in the Real Books. Start with the more easy tunes (Straight No Chaser - a chromatic progression) and progress through the ranks ending with the particlarly challenging (Donna Lee).

8. gmonady

gmonady Utimate User

Jan 28, 2011
    Dayton, Ohio
    PS: Once you get bebop fast, you will need an upgrade of "materials". My I suggest the Olds Recording, or Getzen horns to keep up with the demands your fingers will make on your valves once you get this fast.

9. Satchmo Brecker

Satchmo Brecker Piano User

Jul 19, 2010
    Absolutely! And for me at least, after several runs up and down and up and down I really start to feel it in my hand and forearm. It's gotta be good!

10. kingtrumpet

kingtrumpet Utimate User

Sep 20, 2009
    New York State USA
    +1 --- but isn't that supposed to be 2 1/2 octaves???? the low F# up to the high C -- for most, anyhow --- but YES ---definitley chromatics -- and then do the scales and those arppeggios thingies ---ROFL ROFL ROFL