Faster Fingers

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by alant, Feb 23, 2012.

1. richtom

richtom Forte User

Dec 7, 2003
    As Mendez said, you must learn to play slowly before you learn to play fast. I was taught to "bang" your valves down when playing slowly. By "bang" I mean push them down as if you WERE playing quickly. This technique prevents lethargic valve pressing when playing slow passages. Lethargic valve pressing can and does result in clams, missed notes entirely, and a lack of smoothness in soft, slow playing.
    Many good recommendations here and strive to make a fingering weakness a strength. Learn the sound of each valve combination and even very tough, finger twisting passages will come out clean.
    RT

2. jmberinger

jmberinger Pianissimo User

Jun 5, 2007
    Long Beach, California
    The essence of speed is not moving the fingers quickly; it is moving the fingers in an even tempo. By having an even execution, with elimination of the "lurching" from each note, makes fingerings easier and faster as well.

To hear if your fingers are uneven, loosen the valves, maybe a quarter turn, until there is a tapping sound. Play scales and note the rhythm as to whether it is even or there is a lurching from tone to tone. If the former, slow down and play it even.

Evidentially it will even out.

3. tobylou8

tobylou8 Utimate User

Dec 22, 2008
    Virginia
    3 octaves! ;-)

4. kingtrumpet

kingtrumpet Utimate User

Sep 20, 2009
    New York State USA
    maybe 3 1/2 ----- low F# up to the DHC ---- oh we can't say DHC (double high C) on a trumpet forum, that was outlawed or something -- OK maybe 3 1/2 octaves if you go from Low F# to the D - 9 notes or so above the high C. ROFL ROFL ROFL

for some, anyhow

5. Ness

Ness New Friend

Nov 3, 2011
    How about an insane goal like 5 octaves from the C below the bass clef to that certain c you claim we aren't allowed to say ROFL. Might as well add double tonged and in thirds on the way back down :cool:

On a serious note though, lots of agility is mental, mostly muscle memory- keep that in mind.

6. kingtrumpet

kingtrumpet Utimate User

Sep 20, 2009
    New York State USA
    well for me - anyhow -- pedal tones (anything below the low F#) and more or less anything above the high C,D area I have to go slow -- so there isn't a great repetoire in either of those ranges --- and NOTHING fast there -- so I can't advise the OP or anyone else how to do fast fingerings and such, or how to get the sound at fast speed --- I am so sorry, this is so very sad for kintrumpet this late in his career -- so sad, so slow at the very bottom, and slow at the very top -- surprised people don't call me a turtle or something!!!!!!!!! ROFL ROFL ROFL

NotCody likes this.
  7. stumac

stumac Fortissimo User

Oct 19, 2008
    Flinders Vic Australia
    This brings the question to me as to the limiting speed of fingering, perhaps some of the medical members would comment, my take is the distance from the brain to the fingers is approx 1 metre, nerves conduct impulses at about 50 metres/second so a delay of 20 milliseconds before the fingers start to move at all. With furthur delays in position and pressure sensors back to the brain and mechanical response of the valves I think 10 operations a second would be about the maximum achievable. See Harry James Hora Staccata for about as fast as it gets.

Regards, Stuart.

8. Paul Du Bourg

Paul Du Bourg Pianissimo User

Oct 27, 2006
    JHB
    Hi All,

Download jazz solos off internet.

eg.

Glen Drewes played with Mel Lewis Orchestra - "Low Down"

240 bpm with 16th's equates to 16 notes per second.

After a long,long,long while now I'm up to about half that speed.

Yikesssss!!!!

Cheers

PaulD

9. Ed Lee

Ed Lee Utimate User

Aug 16, 2009
    Jackson NC
    I think HJ's Flight of the Bumblebee was faster. Now in the past, I've played it in 59 seconds, but I've not regained that fingering speed yet. Still, IMO I'm presently no snail on finger speed (Do snails have fingers???)

10. gmonady

gmonady Utimate User

Jan 28, 2011
    Dayton, Ohio
    They must... if they have fingersnails!