Fat Players and High Notes?

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by lakerjazz, May 8, 2010.

1. Pete Anderson

Pete Anderson Pianissimo User

Feb 27, 2008
    I think there are enough "normal" sized screamers to say that even if what I mentioned does have some impact, it's fairly small and more of just something that's interesting to know than an excuse to be out of shape :-P (I hope that huge run-on sentence makes sense)

2. dlewis

dlewis Piano User

Nov 22, 2006
    RANDALLSTOWN MARYLAND
    Snooky Young was a very small person as well

3. rowuk

rowuk Moderator Staff Member

Jun 18, 2006
    Germany
    I think that it is an inverse relationship.

Many successful trumpet players eat late, drink beer and don't sleep or exercize regularly enough. That CAN result in the players approaching natures most perfect shape - round.

Maynard wasn't paying enough that those guys could really afford to get "fat". In addition, the tour schedule was tough so the calories burnt was high and you had to be careful that you stayed in shape to keep up with the "expectations" of the boss even under some very difficult circumstances. I am sure that Tony, Nick and Keith would have some very interesting anecdotes.

4. Dark Knight

Dark Knight Pianissimo User

Apr 7, 2010
    Canada
    Funny you mention this. I went to Burger King yesterday for a whopper value meal. I even upgraded the fries from medium to large. Coincidentily (or, may be not) I was able to hit a high C very easily. I think the extra grease helps you slide past the "sticking point". In fact, I even hit and held the D just above. It was the best range practice ever! ;-)

In all seriousness, I used to have the same thoughts about opera tenors. Then, you look at a picture of the three great ones together and realize that they come in all shapes and sizes. That is because it is all about breathing and muscular control and not what lies on top.

David

5. Phil986

Phil986 Forte User

Nov 16, 2009
    Near Portland, OR.
    I do not believe that the correlation really exists. Perception is not reality. The only way to know would be to get a sample large enough and look if there is anything that is statistically significant. I am unconvinced that there is, Solar bell has pointed to many counter examples.

6. doug finch

doug finch Pianissimo User

Feb 10, 2010
    Whitstable, England
    I couldn't possibly comment, living in the UK I'd probably be taken by the "politically correct thought police," for being fatophobic.

7. Dupac

Dupac Fortissimo User

Aug 19, 2008
    Bordeaux, France.
    The more you eat the higher you hit ???

8. jongorrie

jongorrie Pianissimo User

May 9, 2010
    It's a pretty interesting observation, but probably just a coincidence. As far as screamers go, I think it's more about technique than the physical size of the player.

Not sure if you seen the Monette 2009 year in review video, but both Adam Rapa (and his young student) have a pretty impressive upper register, and neither of them are overweight :-)

But I do know what you mean - I can think of plenty of 'screamers' that are a little beefy.

All the best,

Jon Gorrie

--

Editor: BrassMusician.com

9. Dark Knight

Dark Knight Pianissimo User

Apr 7, 2010
    Canada
    Dupac,

I was just joking. I wish that was true. If it were, I would eat non-stop.

David.

10. a marching trumpet

a marching trumpet Mezzo Piano User

Feb 11, 2009
    Murfreesboro, TN
    I know what your sayin, to me from the out look a bigger guy is does have a bit more natural range over the rest of us, however there are some thin guys out there with some chops (Scott Dean)