Fat Players and High Notes?

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by lakerjazz, May 8, 2010.

1. rettepnoj

rettepnoj Fortissimo User

Feb 22, 2009
    Norway
    [​IMG]

I have an easy upper register, but I would prefer a six-pack.

I must admit, that the Monette piece looks good together with the Hub Van Laar...:-)

2. tedh1951

tedh1951 Utimate User

Oct 18, 2007
    The Wide Brown Land
    Eeeeeuuw - what's that flesh coloured thing stuck on the end of your mouthpiece?

3. rettepnoj

Feb 22, 2009
    Norway
    Mouthpiece cheese..:lol: Nah, just fat!!!:shock:

4. Eclipsehornplayer

Eclipsehornplayer Forte User

Sep 14, 2005
    Metro Detroit
    I want my money back! As a "Fat Person" I am not able to scream. My range no matter what I do is F over High "C". Who do I see for my refund?

5. Solar Bell

Solar Bell Moderator Staff Member

May 11, 2005
    Metro Detroit
    John....

You HAVE to post more often!

6. trickg

trickg Utimate User

Oct 26, 2003
    Baltimore/DC
    I was lucky enough to be able to attend Craig Johnson's audition for the US Army Jazz Ambassadors in about June or July of 1992. A little background for anyone who doesn't know who he is, at the time, Craig was playing lead for Maynard Ferguson.

Now maybe my memory is faulty, because I don't know big he actually is, but I remember that he wasn't very big - I'm thinking somewhere around 5'7" - 5'8" and maybe 135 lbs soaking wet. The band was playing a Maynard-esque ballad and he started off playing flugel - nicely played and solid. Then he picked up his trumpet and parted my hair right down the middle with this HUGE, PHAT sound. Seriously - if I had closed my eyes, I would have thought it was Maynard.

So is Craig the exception to the "rule?" Personally I don't think there is any correlation between high chops and weight.

(Note - Craig didn't win the slot, but certainly not because he couldn't have handled the part. I think they were looking for someone who would better fit into the Army's cookie-cutter solider/musician mold)

7. Seaaggie

Seaaggie New Friend

May 3, 2010
    Seattle, WA
    This has to be wrong because I should be able to play notes only dogs can hear.ROFL

8. jbkirby

jbkirby Forte User

Sep 10, 2009
    Dothan, Alabama
    rettepnoj:

I consider you to have a balanced physique just as I have. Thiink about it, when you level a board using a level, where is the bubble? In the middle!! ROFL

9. frankmike

frankmike Piano User

Dec 5, 2008
    That construction workers are pretty brave to be sitting out there.:shock::thumbsup: what photo is that, something famous or just random?

Also impressive movie and music collection.:thumbsup:

But Rambo :thumbdown:

10. rettepnoj

Feb 22, 2009
    Norway
    Do you like my body, how the muscles plays with the light?? That is only 1/8 of my music collection! Rambo, I hate it, but I thaught it said Mambo...haha

If you ment the construction workers, it's from the building of Rockefeller in NY..:-)

Last edited: May 15, 2010