Fat Players and High Notes?

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by lakerjazz, May 8, 2010.

1. Dark Knight

Dark Knight Pianissimo User

Apr 7, 2010
    Canada
    I will make an amendment to my earlier post. I have been so busy with work the past week that I have not had time to jogg AND practice the trumpet. The high register got progressively easier throughout the week but my pants still fit.

Jon, that is a great looking horn!

David

2. lakerjazz

lakerjazz Mezzo Piano User

Oct 10, 2006
    These are all good points and examples, but keep in mind that I'm talking about raw talent. For example, Michael Jordan has larger hands than does Kobe. Both have put in (relatively) the same amount of work, and consequently, both are excellent ball handlers. However, Michael Jordan is still facillitated largely by his large hands. Obviously, someone who has not practiced basketball very much can have baseball gloves as hands but still won't be better than Kobe. And Kobe, despite having small hands, is still one of the best handlers due to hard work, but like I said, not better than Jordan. It seems that there is no substitute for hard work, but there are always small advantages even within the professional realm.

3. rettepnoj

rettepnoj Fortissimo User

Feb 22, 2009
    Norway
    Thank's, it playes like a dream too..:D Very happy about my Hubby :-)

4. kingtrumpet

kingtrumpet Utimate User

Sep 20, 2009
    New York State USA
    Lakerjazz,
    that would be cool if there was some truth to fat guys --- I am 5'5" and was 225lbs 21 months ago when I started a comeback. I am closing in on being under 200 lbs in a month or so.
    I try to lose weight --- when I lose wait -- I breath better -- and with practice -- I get higher notes -- go figure --- when I was FAT-ter it really didn't help me to hit high notes.

5. lakerjazz

Oct 10, 2006
    kingtrumpet,
    that's good news- I guess there hasn't been
    much evidence to back up my point. Good luck
    with your comeback

6. brian moon

brian moon Forte User

Mike isn't that tall Chuck. Patrick is closer to 5:8 Not that it really matters much.

Earl Gardner played just as good, or better, at 165 as he did at close to 300.

Last edited: Sep 12, 2010
  7. xjb0906

xjb0906 Piano User

May 2, 2009
    Charlotte NC
    Maybe that is why my upper register has not come back. I also lost 60 lbs over the first year of my comeback. I am still 5 10 and 225 lbs though. No more cardio for me! Double C's here I come!

Just a little humor there. Very little.

8. Kiddo

Kiddo New Friend

Jan 30, 2010
    There's no direct correlation between the physique of a player and his/her playing as far as I know.

However, there's a tendency for good trumpeters to be more on the overweight side than the other; ofc ppl can name examples of slim trumpet players who can hit double Cs like no tomorrow, but it doesn't change the fact that the general anecdotal accounts of fat, bulky players hitting that double C.

This is due to their sedentary lifestyles, common in good trumpet players, being devoted to their art and thus leading to an unbalanced lifestyle. And ofc, double Cs come along with age, one don't simply hit double Cs when they're in high schools (cept for a few prodigies of course), maturity and routine practices over the years are what make one get to that double C; and for others, they may never do in their lifetime. For those that do, they're often well into their ages and their arts honed through time. And since the natural human cycle eventually regress into a state lacking of physicality, ppl who grow old tends to bulk up on those fat.

Thus you can see, double Cs are one common sign of an experienced trumpeter, of which 'experience' here is synonymous to the age maturity of the trumpeter. It's not the 'fatness' of the player that determines their range, rather their age and how long they've been at it; and since fatness tends to be symptom of age, ppl tend to mix them up with trumpet playing.

Yes, I know, it may seem absurd to declare that age is one of the factor in determining your range. But fact is repetitive effective routines are what determines it (for some it never will), and that is determined by time. So how bout I raise examples of veteran players who're way past 30s who're able to hit triple Cs and someone try raising high schoolers who can do the same?

9. lakerjazz

Oct 10, 2006
    Kiddo,
    I think you're probably right

10. Alex_C

Alex_C Piano User

May 30, 2010
    Gilroy, California
    5'5" on a tall day and 140 here, mebbe 145, I'm glad I don't have to put on weight to get the high notes! Not that I can get 'em controllably now, I'm a beginner.