Fat Players and High Notes?

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by lakerjazz, May 8, 2010.

1. brian moon

brian moon Forte User

Anyone that I teach that has normal physical and mental capacity that will practice and play exactly how I tell them to will play Double and Triple C's.

2. Kiddo

Kiddo New Friend

Jan 30, 2010
    I'd have to disagree with your assertion that everyone has the potential to be cultivated into 'screamers'; that it is merely a matter of effective and correct exercises. There're ppl who've been playing all their lives, with technical finesse one would die for, yet many of them can't get to that coveted double C. As answered many times before, practice can only get one that far in range extension, to go the extremities, it rly boils down to the person's inherent aptitude, that coupled with how long they've been at their passion.

Furthermore how many young players actually has the understanding and discipline to carry out the very function of their exercises( that they were deigned for)? As with the many recount of comeback players on this forum, many of them don't have an inkling of their routine and neither do they realise the importance of it even when they're blessed with all the tools for learning when they're in their earlier ages. Naturally it comes without a surprise that many of those who asks for that magical high range to be conjured out of nowhere in this forum tends to be those who've yet to really delve into it for long, and effectively.

Can anyone say that younger players have generally displayed the very same virtues of matured players? Can anyone make the bold assumption that the few exceptional ones they encountered are representative of the general populace?

This is not an issue of potential; well ofc everyone's equal on that front, but not in all aspects of trumpet playing. Time and maturity goes a long way in trumpet playing. Repetitions, trial-and-errors characterize practice irregardless of the concept of effective practice; no one can say they'd get it right on the first few tries.

Just my 2 cents on the trend that I've seen.

Last edited: Sep 13, 2010
  3. rettepnoj

rettepnoj Fortissimo User

Feb 22, 2009
    Norway
    Triple C? Man, I need you as my teacher!!:play:

Last edited: Sep 13, 2010
  4. brian moon

brian moon Forte User

Yes you should.

5. brian moon

brian moon Forte User

Re-read what I said. It is not just exercises.

6. Kiddo

Kiddo New Friend

Jan 30, 2010
    Yes I do understand.

You're saying normal physical and mental capacity are the prerequisites, coupled with the correct drills; ofc it's very subjective to anyone what a person's definition of 'normal level' is.

But I still beg to differ though. Given that there're inundated classical trumpeters out there who're so exceptionally skilled in every technical aspect of the trumpet except for range; which ofc give rise to 2 possibilities, either their mentors are so wholly absentminded (or might I blatantly say inept) that they covered everything so adequately, and yet their pedagogical methodologies failed to (effectively) incorporate range...

Or simply that range is simply not a luxury that is extended to every 'normal' person. I'm inclined to believe in the latter given my personal experiences in the conservatory I'm attending and what I've seen from .

Ofc, I could very well be an asinine fool who's very limited by his own perception of things.

7. brian moon

brian moon Forte User

No to both statements. You just aren't comprehending thoroughly what I wrote. If you don't get it the third time I'll explain it again. It's better for one's brain to figure it out than to just be told.

8. jmoney422

jmoney422 New Friend

Jul 19, 2010
    Lancaster, California
    I asked a similar question recently to a fitness trainer, who once was a pretty big guy and is a trumpet player. the answer he gave me was, bigger people tend to need more air support to satisfy their oxygen need, so their lungs tend to be bigger, and they need to work a little harder to use that air so their lung muscles might be stronger (but not always). He said he could hit pretty high when he was big, but now that he's in shape, his lungs still support his high playing. Thats just my input on big guys, now there are people like my friend that are normal in size for their age of 18 who can hit a double E, well we just call him a prodigy haha :shock: