Fat Sound

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by trumpettrax, Aug 4, 2006.

1. trumpettrax

trumpettrax Piano User

Mar 18, 2006
    Texas
    I was recently reading an article (tribute) to Armando Ghitalla. Someone made a brief listing of sayings (?) that he told his students. One of those was play with a "fat sound".

What is that and how would do you play like that?

Thanks,

Trax

2. Manny Laureano

Manny Laureano Utimate User

Sep 29, 2004
    USA
    A "fat" sound is based on the most efficient playing you can achieve. In other words, the most sound with the least amount of effort. Once you start to strain and muscle the instrument, the sound gets tighter and brighter. Sometimes it's hard to avoid that. The most difficult thing is to maintain the character of the music and be relaxed simultaneously. Some people see a passage that is marked staccato and their bodies become staccato. This is the main reason Herseth in his prime was such a phenomenon. He always played in character but with a fantastic efficiency. It was also the reason Dave Monette was drawn to him, because of the way he got such a fat sound with seemingly little effort. I'll never forget Bud demonstrating the Pulcinella finale for me one day during a lesson. Perfect articulation and vivid character with seemingly little effort and a fat sound. Many people think they play this way but everything sounds legato and out of character which, for me, makes it musically worthless.

ML

3. Liad Bar-EL

Liad Bar-EL Forte User

Oct 25, 2003
    Jerusalem, Israel
    This is great Manny and worth bring back on top.

Thanks,

Liad Bar-EL