fatigue

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by midwestchops, Jun 5, 2007.

1. midwestchops

midwestchops Pianissimo User

ive found that i fatigue very quickly. i know that what can be said for this may be limited having not heard/seen me play, but any general help in beating fatigue would be great. maybe im not using enough air/"using too much lip". before the semester was over i was afraid to practice about 2 days before a performance in hopes to be able to make it through a 30 min set (lead trumpet- jazz). any advice on making "faster" air would be appreciated, i think i struggle with that a bit. thanks in advance for any info you can muster up;-)

2. Bob Odneal

Bob Odneal Pianissimo User

Jan 5, 2004
    Houston, Texas
    How is your pressure? Do you practice softly?

3. Vulgano Brother

Vulgano Brother Moderator Staff Member

Mar 23, 2006
    Parts Unknown
    One of the quickest ways to get tired is to "save our chops!" By playing with "reckless abandon," often the relaxation that comes gets us through the job, and we can have fun at the same time. Strange, but true!

When practicing, great benefit comes from those good ol' Clarke studies: low impact playing over a long period of time develops endurance. The mechanics involved are like those of athletes. Bicycle racers, for example, have a routine that trains sprinting on some days, and endurance on others.

Beating up our faces every day in hopes of gaining endurance doesn't work--we aren't trying to build muscle, but rather build the blood flow that exchanges the good stuff for the bad in our muscles. It's a slow but steady way to win the endurance race. Have fun!

4. RG111

RG111 Piano User

Nov 12, 2003
    In addition to Vulgano Brother's suggestions, I find playing melodies to be of help. Tunes from the back of Arban, Concone studies, et al, remembering of course to rest as much as you play.
    Roy

5. Dave Mickley

Dave Mickley Forte User

Nov 11, 2005
    Indianapolis
    I am just an average player who is 58 years old and I need to practice more now just to maintain. I have found that playing long tones helps my endurance and range, very boring but it works for me. Dave

6. stchasking

stchasking Forte User

Jun 11, 2006
    I get in more practice time by buzzing softly on my mouth piece in the car. I have a length of plastic hose attached to keep the condensation off my shirt. This gives me 20 minutes to and from work for a total 40 minutes. I talked this over with Crispian-Steel Perkins and he thought it was a good idea.

7. midwestchops

midwestchops Pianissimo User

i do try to keep a majority of my practicing in the "soft" range. some days i go to play and everything seems easy, good tone, no feel of strain, notes above the staff are easy.........and other days (for 2 weeks straight one time during the last semester) i cant get ANYTHING to work, trouble with anything above a c in the staff. such a frustrating, yet FANTASTIC instrument, isnt it? :bash: :play:

8. trumpethack

trumpethack Pianissimo User

Jun 1, 2006
    Massachusetts
    Sometimes "trying" to play soft can make you tired faster... instead of trying to play soft, or trying to play loud... just play at "regular". Think of how you talk, if you are having a conversation do you talk soft or loud? No, if it's just a regular everyday circumstance you just talk at a "normal" volume. Try doing that with your playing, just play at a comfortable easy level.

The other thing is to do what someone already mentioned and just play a bunch of songs each day for a week or so. The problem with endurance is that the more you think about it the bigger a "problem" it seems to become... "am I tired yet?? I think I might be...uh oh..." see what I mean...

I think I heard Ray Mase say once that he starts off each day with a few simple songs because if he can't play that there's not much point in being able to do anything else...

-Hack