Fatigued lips

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by VinesHs2014, Apr 23, 2011.

1. VinesHs2014

VinesHs2014 New Friend

Jan 16, 2011
    Behind a Trumpet
    I've been playing trumpet for 8 months now. After about 6 months in i had a range to High C, sometimes going higher. Back then i was practicing about 5-6 hours a day, doing lip slurs, long tones, and nothing much else.

For the past 4 weeks, I'm barely able to hit a high G. Are my chops too tired? Did i abuse them by practicing so much?

How much should i practice per day, and What should I practice to get my chops back?

What can I do to get my range and endurance back? Auditions for my school Symphonic band are in a month and I need to have a solid range and good endurance so I can get through the etude cleanly.

Last edited: Apr 23, 2011
  2. VinesHs2014

VinesHs2014 New Friend

Jan 16, 2011
    Behind a Trumpet
    Still waiting for an answer:-?

3. stumac

stumac Fortissimo User

Oct 19, 2008
    Flinders Vic Australia
    Firstly, what does your trumpet teacher think about this?

Secondly, IMO your chops are protesting because of too much pressure as you ascend, I assume the high G you refer to is G on top of the stave.

Thirdly, there is no magic cure, range and endurance have to be built slowly and correctly. I would suggest taking a week off and starting again with soft tones with breath starts around the middle of the stave and resting as much as you play, keeping mouthpiece pressure as light as possible, only enough to stop the air leaking.

Regards, Stuart.

4. gmonady

gmonady Utimate User

Jan 28, 2011
    Dayton, Ohio
    Are my chops too tired?
    Woe sport, at 5-6 hours a day [without much of a break I take it] you have likely over-done-it.

Did i abuse them by practicing so much?
    Yes, it appears this is true. But to be sure answer these questions:
    Did your lips ever hurt? And if so, how often and for how long?
    Were your lips swollen after these 5-6 hour sessions?

How much should i practice per day, and What should I practice to get my chops back?
    Start at limited sessions, initially a half hour a session, then after several days, increase the rehearsal sessions by 15 minutes every 3-5 days.

What can I do to get my range and endurance back?
    See the above questions and recommendation, start there. Let me know these details and how the shorter sesions are doing.

Auditions for my school Symphonic band are in a month and I need to have a solid range and good endurance.
    I see this as a realistic goal, but go slowly at achieving this goal as noted above, and you just may get there.

5. tobylou8

tobylou8 Utimate User

Dec 22, 2008
    Virginia
    What he said!:thumbsup:

6. rowuk

rowuk Moderator Staff Member

Jun 18, 2006
    Germany
    It is impossible for us to determine based on your post what is going on.

Maybe reality check: what do you REALLY practice for 5-6 hours a day?

I can't imagine playing long tones or slurs for that length of time even being possible during this stage of your development. If it is just noodling around, it is very possible that you have developed some bad habits.

Certainly with 5 or 6 hours avaiable (if this is even true), quite a bit is possible, but obviously something is VERY wrong if you REALLY invest that amount of time and don't even play a couple of hours of tunes.

So either way: you are telling the truth but have a pretty useless daily routine, or like many others, have little grip on what "playing" or "practicing" really means. Both need a local teacher to get straight, although exaggeration is not so easy to fix.........

7. coolerdave

coolerdave Utimate User

Nov 7, 2009
    San Pedro
    +1 on an instructor..
    here some trumpet axioms
    rest as much as you play .. that can be as little as 8 measures .. but you have to rest a lot.. if you play for 30 minutes straight and rest for 5 minutes it probably won't work. Once you start to fluff your attacks you are playing on tired chops and nothing good can come out of it.
    Don't over blow ... if you are screaming high notes for any length of time you are probably not really practicing properly.

Since I am a comeback player and have about 10 weeks under my belt after 20+ years of not playing my range limit is all over the place.. some days the high D is solid and other days.... well let's just say I shouldn't play over the staff ... just the way it is.
    if you can afford it.. get an instructor .. as soon as possible.
    It really takes will power but watch your pressure and volume.. try to play soft and rest alot.
    Keep us posted

8. gmonady

gmonady Utimate User

Jan 28, 2011
    Dayton, Ohio
    This is the best advice anyone can receive. Please do find a reputable teacher, and learn good technique before questionable self learned methods puts you on a course that only becomes more difficult to reverse with time.