fav place to play?

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by GoLdeNsKaNs, Jun 9, 2007.

1. GoLdeNsKaNs

GoLdeNsKaNs New Friend

Jun 8, 2007
    Whats your favourite place to play? It doesnt have to be specific, it can be either inside or outside.

2. Fudleysmith

Fudleysmith Pianissimo User

Jan 5, 2006
    Niantic, CT
    Definately at church, for both spiritual and musical reasons.

It is a Hispanic Baptist church with six singers, three percussionists, piano, bass, guitar, violin, and me on trumpet/flugel. Mostly salsa beat with some Latin ballads thrown in.

Only the violin and I read music, everyone else plays what they hear, not what they see. After more than a year, I'm finally learning to put away the music and play what I hear as well. It is incredibly liberating. I still sometimes miss the unison accents. It seems that everyone else is subdividing a different beat than I am, but I'm getting better.

Most of the singers are female, and the flugelhorn is great for blending with them on harmony lines or for laying out an intro line for them.

I also play with a community orchestra and a local swing band, but playing at church is my highlight each week.

My band director, 35 years ago, used to say "you use your fingers and lips to play your instrument, but you use your ears to make music". I finally get it!

3. rowuk

rowuk Moderator Staff Member

Jun 18, 2006
    Germany
    my favorite place to play - is anywhere me and my trumpet(s) are together. Every space has its challenges and blessings - so I take them all!

4. Vulgano Brother

Vulgano Brother Moderator Staff Member

Mar 23, 2006
    Parts Unknown
    Kimbrough Hall at Washington State University; second floor storage room, about 75 square feet, with about a 10 foot ceiling. Even a freshman could sound like Maurice Andre in there.

5. The BuZZ

The BuZZ Pianissimo User

Apr 3, 2007
    Chester, NY
    That sums it up for me as well!:bravo:

6. S-Money

S-Money Pianissimo User

Dec 8, 2006
    Mechanicsburg, PA
    I have to say I really enjoy going out to this field thats 10 minutes from my house to play. Its out of the way, outside, beautiful even, and it really helps me connect with what im playing.

7. John P

John P Piano User

Jun 16, 2006
    Camp Hill, PA
    The marble hallway behind the stage at The Forum in Harrisburg, PA. Every note echoes for about 2 seconds after I play it. It's like a sustain pedal for trumpet :)