favor??

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by daveblue222, May 10, 2010.

1. daveblue222

daveblue222 New Friend

Aug 19, 2009
    hello everyone

im not great at working out songs by ear and mainly rely on sheet music etc...

so, there is a trumpet solo i would like to learn

YouTube - 'Jayne's Blue Wish' -Tom Waits (solo is about halfway through)

it seems pretty simple technical wise

could anyone transcribe it for me, or just give me the notes maybe. would be forever thankful :)

-dave

2. Sofus

Sofus Forte User

Jul 26, 2008
    I think this may be right . . .

It´s written in concert pitch, so if you are playing on a Bb trumpet,
    you should add two more sharps and raise all notes one more step.

This means: the first note will then be a B, not an A,
    the second will be a G#, not a F# etc.

There is a pedagogic reason for this; if you rewrite them, you will
    get some of that experience only hard work can give!

ENJOY!

[​IMG]

3. Markie

Markie Forte User

Jan 4, 2009
    Clarksburg, WV
    While its a pain in the ass to do, you'll be better once its done and guess what, you'll be better at it the next time you do it. Budget out a time of day to do it a little every day.
    If you are writing by pencil & paper, you might want to check out Finale Notepad 2005a. Its free and gives you the ability to play back what you've written.
    Hope this helps

4. guyclark

guyclark Piano User

Feb 28, 2008
    Los Gatos, CA
    Why not just sit down with a recording of the music and try to play along by ear? This is EXACTLY what I did when I first started playing trumpet. I knew how to read music, having studied piano for four or five years previously, so it wasn't that I couldn't read. I just didn't want to be bothered trying to source the sheet music at that age (9 years old).

It's not that hard to do, especially if you have a player that you can rewind or go back and forth on easily. In my day, that was an LP player (phonograph). Then, I used a cassette deck that had good FF and Rew controls.

Play along until you lose the melody. Then go back and listen to it again. Then go back and try to play along with it again. Repeat the process over and over, and eventually, you'll get it. You'll also be giving your ears a workout, that will be handy when you study ear-training (if you go to music school).

As a 10 year old, I played along with Herb Alpert and the TJB OVER and OVER and over and over.... for fun! I didn't know that I was practicing for hours a day. Somehow, that practice allowed me to overtake all the older kids in my grade-school, jr. High band, and become 1st chair trumpet. I now can listen to a piece of music and fairly quickly pick it up and play it by ear if necessary, too!

Playing along with a recording can be quite easy! Just try it!!

Guy Clark

5. guyclark

guyclark Piano User

Feb 28, 2008
    Los Gatos, CA
    I should have mentioned that I also used this technique to write out parts for myself. I had to (had an opportunity to! ) play the Leopold Mozart trumpet concerto as a Sr. in High School with one of my youth orchestras. I wanted a head start on it, so I played the recording of someone playing it in short chunks and wrote it out as I heard it. I'd check myself occasionally by going back and listening to the recording while following along in my manuscript. Again, this was good ear-training that I practiced without knowing I was working at it!

It's not "cheating" to use an instrument to get a starting pitch, or checking any other pitches you're not sure of. I had the luxury of a piano as well as (by this time) a pretty good sense of pitch, certainly so in the relative pitch sense.

Hope all this helps!

Guy Clark

6. daveblue222

daveblue222 New Friend

Aug 19, 2009
    thank you so much sofus :)

much appreciated

i will transcribe it up a tone now.

thanks for the advice guy, to be honest i know it sounds lame but i really struggle working music out by ear, and im not a good trumpet player so would find this even more difficult whilst trying to maintain good technique etc.... my main instrument is guitar and can normally work simple stuff out, now it sounds as if i should of just learnt it on guitar first then transcribed for trumpet lol (lazy!)

:play:

7. Sofus

Sofus Forte User

Jul 26, 2008
    You´re welcome!

I´m a guitar player too. Used to play all the classical
    pieces, but play just as much electrical guitar now.

Good luck!

8. guyclark

guyclark Piano User

Feb 28, 2008
    Los Gatos, CA
    Hi, Dave!

Well, then, this is just the sort of thing for you to work on. Don't worry about "not being a good trumpet player". :oops: You'd be doing this in the privacy of your own house! :-o Maybe I have no shame, but I remember trying to play along with a recording of the Haydn concerto after only a couple of months of trumpet playing. :shock: I hadn't even had any "real" trumpet lessons yet! :roll: I'm sure I didn't sound any good :thumbdown:(I remember struggling with the high range):shhh: but it got me motivated to play!:play:

You'll never succeed :cool: if you don't try! :-P

Is there a penalty for overuse of smileys? :dontknow:

Guy Clark

9. daveblue222

daveblue222 New Friend

Aug 19, 2009
    sofus/guyclark- i mainly play classical guitar and make my own music with my band myspace.com/theflowing lol and rely heavily on sheet music. i will take on your advice guy and practice with tracks/songs more, as i havent really done this with either instrument.

:play:

10. guyclark

guyclark Piano User

Feb 28, 2008
    Los Gatos, CA
    Good for you! It's actually kinda fun after you get the hang of it! :cool:

Good luck!!!

Guy