Favorite Artist?

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by K.Buck, Nov 15, 2006.

1. FunnyValentine

FunnyValentine New Friend

Sep 26, 2006
    Severinson and Armstrong!!

2. olbrneyes

olbrneyes Pianissimo User

Mar 12, 2007
    Portland, OR
    I have seen Severinsen, Maynard, Sandoval, Chase and so many others. However, I have never seen or heard anyone who understood the trumpet and could play like Harry James. He has been knocked as being commercial. Chris Botti isn't commercial? Maynard wasn't commercial? If Harry had taken better care of himself, he would have been an even greater influence. Suffice it to say that I knew Harry James and saw him many times. He did things that no other trumpet player could even imagine.

3. Vulgano Brother

Vulgano Brother Moderator Staff Member

Mar 23, 2006
    Parts Unknown
    Vulgano Sister!

4. Richard Oliver

Richard Oliver Forte User

Jul 18, 2006
    Casper, WY
    I can't name one.

Usually the person I'm listening to at the time and going "wows" me enough that other "favorites" fade into the background.

I've been listening to Rafael Mendez a bit of late. Lot's of "wows" there.

A Groundling,

Richard Oliver

5. Solar Bell

Solar Bell Moderator Staff Member

May 11, 2005
    Metro Detroit
    Right on!!!!

-cw-

6. maine trumpeter

maine trumpeter Pianissimo User

Aug 17, 2006
    The sweet sound of Doc Severinsen

7. rickperon

rickperon New Friend

Jan 17, 2007
    Tucson, AZ
    Oh yes! I listen to so many different trumpet players for different listening satisfaction. That's what music should do, whether it's a trumpet or ? The shear excitement created by Maynard, Chase or Cat. The creativeness of Lee, Freddie or Clark. The sound of Doc, Hirt & Harry. The technical prowress of Rafael, Vizzutti or Wynton. The quietness of Chet, Botti & Miles. The funkyness of Blue, Braun & ????? You get the picture!
    Rick

8. S-Money

S-Money Pianissimo User

Dec 8, 2006
    Mechanicsburg, PA
    i admire many of the old jazzers, but i have to say two of my favorite guys to listen to recently have been John Swana, and Graham Breedlove

9. Fluffy615

Fluffy615 Piano User

Nov 30, 2006
    New Jersey
    With all due respect to the many trumpet Gods mentioned in this thread, and I admire a great many of them, from the first time I heard McArthur Park Maynard has been my all time favorite. For me no one does it like Maynard did.
    Bob

10. Ross

Ross New Friend

Mar 7, 2007
    Okinawa
    Fred Moch (right now anyway). also two guys I played with in High School; D. Hester and R. Huff (honestly, they were gods on the horn, and just all around great people). I dont know if they are still playin' but if they are I wouldn't be supprised if the world starts to know their names.

I also gotta mention Loius Armstrong.

Last edited: Mar 15, 2007