Favorite Artist?

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by K.Buck, Nov 15, 2006.

1. Mark Bradley

Mark Bradley Pianissimo User

Jan 16, 2007
    Kansas City
    I love and admire about all the major and not so major jazz guys but the numero uno trumpet player of all time to me is:

Miles Davis

The guy never stopped pushing forward.

2. Aspiring Trumpeter

Aspiring Trumpeter New Friend

Oct 2, 2005
    Iowa
    Alison Balsom, Chuck Lazarus and Bud Herseth.

3. brian moon

brian moon Forte User

Maynard!

4. Tom Mac

Tom Mac Pianissimo User

Mar 11, 2007
    Nashville Tennessee
    I just saw a clip on UTube of Arturo Sandoval playing Cherokee. Many of you have seen it but this was my first taste. Instead of playing the Cherokee head he subs Clifford Brown's Solo (played in unison w/ the Tenor player, also a beast). This thing is flying along like a bald-headed bat screamin' outa the jaws of hades and... well, I'm sittin' here with my mouth hangin' open, Completely shocked; because I've been working on getting that same transcription up to speed (mm. 350) for six months. So, until something comes along to beat that, Arturo's my new hero and favorite player. Did I mention it was tastey? Did I mention that his own solo also knocked my socks off?

T. Mac, going back to the practice room.

5. Jim Kot

Jim Kot New Friend

Mar 3, 2007
    Prudenville, Mi.
    My vote is for Doc and Clark Terry. They are real pros who have influenced players for years. In addition, they are super people and a lot of fun to hang with.

6. Toobz

Toobz Mezzo Piano User

Feb 5, 2007
    I have to disagree with the comment regarding Maynard . As a sax player who dabbles in brass, great technical prowess is only one part of being a great musician. Unlike trumpet, the sax is far easier to master many of the technical aspects . So when it comes down to who is a great sax player or whatever, technical prowess is
    overated. It's the other things that the great players bring to the table that seperate them from the crowd. Just because I can play
    the most difficult pieces note for note, doesn't mean I am a great musician. In fact, some of my favorite musicians are not particularly
    gifted at playing their respective horn. However , they bring other
    unique qualities that make them compelling and GREAT musicians. I personally enjoy Maynard from time to time, but I don't think he is as technically proficient as say Winton Marsalis. But for me, while I
    listen with awe and great respect for Winton's capabilities, he quite frankly bores me to death at times. Musical tastes differ, and just like picking a favorite color, their is no wrong answer.
    Toobz

7. trpt2345

trpt2345 Mezzo Forte User

May 21, 2006
    Morelia, Mexico
    Well, you know, if it came down to it, if I had to pick one, I'd have to say Miles. My favorite thing when I see someone play is when I can't tell what's going to happen next, and with Miles you just never knew what the next thing was going to be. No one ever listened or thought so hard. And his sound could just slay you.

Michael McLaughlin

8. Ross

Ross New Friend

Mar 7, 2007
    Okinawa
    you're darn tootin'!! (no pun intended)

9. olbrneyes

olbrneyes Pianissimo User

Mar 12, 2007
    Portland, OR
    I love Clark Terry. However, if you want to hear where ClarkTerry came from, check out Charlie Shavers. Charlie Shavers was the closest to Harry James in terms of the combination of technique and emotional intensity.And Charlie was popping Double high C's when Maynard was still eating baby food!

10. tromj

tromj Piano User

Jun 4, 2005
    Teaneck, NJ
    Dobbs?