Favorite Artist?

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by K.Buck, Nov 15, 2006.

1. conemaugh

conemaugh New Friend

Feb 15, 2007
    Georgia
    Ziggy Elman

2. Joe N.

Joe N. New Friend

Mar 22, 2007
    Clifford Brown

3. masterfulmusic29

masterfulmusic29 New Friend

Dec 15, 2006
    If you thought that was good you should hear Nigel Kennedy play it.
    Favorite artist. Would be Wynton. He has a sound and style that is unmatched and beyond music. He reaches the magic of the music.
    James

4. jpellett

jpellett New Friend

Apr 20, 2005
    Atlanta
    Maurice Andre and Miles Davis. For me nobody comes close to either of them.

Jason Pellett

5. nate_trp

nate_trp New Friend

Apr 6, 2007
    washington DC
    he is amazing yes. But what about the young ones? Have any of you heard about Tine Thing Helseth? She is only 19 from Norway.. Have heard her some times now. I think she is my favourite now!!! Take my advice: Check her out!!!!

6. The BuZZ

The BuZZ Pianissimo User

Apr 3, 2007
    Chester, NY
    Clifford Brown!:cool:

7. midwestchops

midwestchops Pianissimo User

definately couldnt pick one. i drool listening to all of them. i probably listen to wynton the most right now. i love his sound (w/the help of his monette of course) and his technique and style are always amazing. btw, my trumpet proffesor got to hang out with maurice andre and she said he is an amazing person. doesnt play much anymore though, which is sad.

8. Principaltrumpet

Principaltrumpet Pianissimo User

Nov 7, 2006
    north texas
    I think for me it depends on what horn they are playing, and what genre is being played. Maurice Andre is prolly my most favorite, favorite. Does that make sense?
    JR

9. asc1969

asc1969 New Friend

Dec 12, 2006
    Modesto, CA
    Of old, I'd have to say Chet Baker, Miles Davis, Maynard Ferguson and Arturo. I listen to quite a few newer guys too....Christian Scott and Sean Jones are awesome. It depends on the day for me too. I listen to Chris Botti quite a bit and have seen him in concert, as well as Roy Hargrove (who I just saw live last week in Oakland, CA). But then I'll throw in a little Tomasz Stanko every now and again just because he's unique.

10. screamingmorris

screamingmorris Mezzo Forte User

Apr 4, 2007
    For rock music it would be Bill Chase.
    Like he said was his goal, he deliberately made a second album that no other band in the world could touch.

For ballads it would Maynard Ferguson.
    When he plays "The Way We Were" and other ballads into the high register with that beautiful *phrasing* and tone, he is singing like a falsetto Al Martino ("who in the world is Al Martino?" :^)

For pure *fun* I like Lin Biviano when he was with Maynard Ferguson.
    When he's not playing he's standing up there in the trumpet section with a certain swagger, a certain body language that says, "Yeah, I'm hot stuff and I know it."
    When he's screaming out double C's he's leaning back at 45 degrees like he's going to fall backward and land flat on his back (although he is not leaning back when he demonstrates a passage of "Something" in the Trumpet stuff site?).
    During intermission he's out in the audience flirting with the ladies trying to find someone to keep company with after the show (after a long show like that, Biviano was such a humanitarian that he was worried that some lady might be lonely that night and he wanted to do his part to relieve her suffering :^)

I love Randy Purcell playing those beautiful trombone ballads on MF albums, too.

- morris