Favorite Christmas CDs by Trumpeters

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by glennled, Dec 7, 2010.

1. Peter McNeill

Peter McNeill Utimate User

Jan 30, 2009
    Melbourne Australia
    :bravo:James Morrison did a Christmas album, and he played all the brass for one of the songs. I think there were 16 parts in it.

I will have to dig it up, it is not in my iPod, but I have the CD...reason to upload it.
    BTW playing carols tonight, so good thread to get the ears up on the tunes :thumbsup:

2. glennled

glennled New Friend

Jul 26, 2010
    Seattle, WA
    Hi, Peter, it appears James Morrison did two: "Christmas" (2000) and "This is Christmas" (1993). Which is your favorite? or is there another?
    Thanks,
    Glenn

3. tobylou8

tobylou8 Utimate User

Dec 22, 2008
    Virginia
    Got it! Good one!

4. glennled

glennled New Friend

Jul 26, 2010
    Seattle, WA
    Thanks, guys, for all your responses to my informal poll. I've converted your answers into a post on my own blog [shameless plug here!]--http://glennstrumpetnotes.wordpress.com. If you have other favorites, please identify them, and I'll add them to the list of CDs that would make great Christmas gifts.

5. The Weez

The Weez Piano User

Dec 23, 2008
    Wichita, KS
    Check out "Boogie Woogie Christmas" by the Brian Setzer Orchestra. They do the coolest Nutcracker I've heard.

6. Iceman444443

Iceman444443 New Friend

Sep 29, 2010
    It would depend on what you want from a Christmas CD. I am a purist and go with the classic sound. While swing, jazz, singers all appeal to us, I want a pure trumpet CD without the preceding. A pure trumpet CD that stays true to the classic sound of the Christmas songs of decades ago. In this vein Dan Oxley's Trumpet of Christmas fits the bill. A super CD with a great trumpet player backed by a full orchestra. You can't go wrong with this CD.

7. trickg

trickg Utimate User

Oct 26, 2003
    Baltimore/DC
    I just recently acquired "Chicago - What's it Gonna Be, Santa?" - like, just two days ago acquired it. I know it's not new, but I've really been digging those lush Chicago rock and roll horn lines.

8. harleyt26

harleyt26 Mezzo Forte User

Dec 9, 2009
    Summerfield,Fl.
  9. SFPat

SFPat Pianissimo User

Sep 20, 2009
    Houston
    I'll add another vote for Phil Driscoll's "Heaven and Nature Swing"

10. tobylou8

tobylou8 Utimate User

Dec 22, 2008
    Virginia
    Stan Kenton's "A Merry Christmas" circa 1961, followed closely by the Robert Shaw Chorale "The Many Moods Of Christmas" circa 1963.