Favorite College Marching Band?

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by 1stTrumpet, Nov 10, 2009.

1. StoporIlltoot!

StoporIlltoot! New Friend

Jan 7, 2010
    Cincinnati, OH
    The University of Tennessee "Pride of the Southland" Marching Band...although I'm quite biased.

[​IMG]
    That's me, far left, pointing at something shiny.

I've seen all of the SEC bands perform, along with many Big East, ACC, Big 12, and Little 10 bands. ;-)

2. peteb

peteb New Friend

Dec 16, 2009
    Greeley, CO
  3. a marching trumpet

a marching trumpet Mezzo Piano User

Feb 11, 2009
    Murfreesboro, TN
    None actually, but if I had to pick why not good ol' UT? Anyways I despise college marching bands, High school marching band is more fun from what ive been told by many people I know. Plus the shows are boring. Then there's Drum Corps which I would love to afford but its whatever. College Marching Band=Park an' Blow:play: Theres my rant

4. StoporIlltoot!

StoporIlltoot! New Friend

Jan 7, 2010
    Cincinnati, OH
    Well, that depends on what your definition of "fun" is, and who you've actually spoken to. Being that I went to UT, the band was filled with mostly people from our home state, and I cannot recall a single time someone said "I had more fun in HS band" or otherwise wished they were back on that level. At UT, you'll be surrounded by the best trumpet players in the state, guaranteed. It was like a family reunion for all the folks that made first band & all-state back in HS. Even after band camp, your marching and playing ability will shoot through the roof.

Plenty of videos on YouTube, there's no "park & blow." I admit, some of the music is, shall we say, "old-fashioned," but we do what we have to do so the alumni will get out their checkbooks. I've done some pretty wild & crazy things in my lifetime, but I still rank the andrenaline rush from the pregame show pretty high up there.

5. Kenzo

Kenzo Pianissimo User

Nov 18, 2003
    Bristol, Connecticut
    Mistyped. Sorry...

Last edited: Jan 12, 2010
  6. Kenzo

Kenzo Pianissimo User

Nov 18, 2003
    Bristol, Connecticut
    Tbdbitl

7. Markie

Markie Forte User

Jan 4, 2009
    Clarksburg, WV
    West Virginia University marching band

8. gglassmeyer

gglassmeyer Piano User

Apr 28, 2006
    Cincinnati, OH
    I have to go with Ohio State. They're the first college band I'd ever heard. Our high school band was in a state competition held at Ohio State and their band performed either at intermission or at the end of the show while the judges tabulated the scores. Having only seen high school groups to this point in my life, I was amazed by the sound / power. All the high school groups competing seemed so weak after hearing what a college marching band from a large school could field. Like other things in life, it's tough to beat your first time. I can't remember the outcome of that competition, but I can remember that performance by the Ohio State marching band.
    I've since seen other groups and they're all very good.

Someone mentioned television not showing the college half time shows, but TV can't capture the sound like sitting in the stands. You gotta be there! I still wish they'd show the bands though.

9. Sturmbill

Sturmbill Pianissimo User

Feb 11, 2004
    Virginia
    1st Trumpet, you might like this clip if you like big bands (395) and screaming trumpets:

YouTube - JMU MRDs POC 10/20/07 "Malaguena"

This is a band that doesn't get heard much because it isn't a BCS team. JMU Marching Royal Dukes have a pretty good program. Give them a look on YouTube. Also check out the Trumpet Section closing ritual of Band of Brothers.

Bill

10. operagost

operagost Forte User

Jan 25, 2009
    Spring City, PA, USA
    I went to tiny Lebanon Valley College and we had (and they still have) some complex drills. In other words, no, they're not all park'n'blow.