Favorite College Marching Band?

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by 1stTrumpet, Nov 10, 2009.

1. Vulgano Brother

Vulgano Brother Moderator Staff Member

Mar 23, 2006
    Parts Unknown
    :lol: Jimi, you are sick!

For those of us with any college marching band experience, the one we played in will almost always be our favorite.

Who here has dated anyone from another college band while in college? Who here has dated the Drum Major's girlfriend from another college?

The best bands aren't always the biggest, loudest, cleanest and screamiest.

Sometimes they are the ones with the cutest woodwind players. :cool:

2. Markie

Markie Forte User

Jan 4, 2009
    Clarksburg, WV
    The best bands aren't always the biggest, loudest, cleanest and screamiest.

Sometimes they are the ones with the cutest woodwind players.-
    ---------------
    We never did establish an operational definition of "best".
    I like the idea of "the cutest woodwind players" as being the standard and, it something that needs more research. Sign me up!!! I want to be a lab assistant!!

3. SpiritDCI08

SpiritDCI08 Piano User

Feb 11, 2009
    Fort Campbell, KY
    jacksonville state university

go gamecocks go!!!

4. jbkirby

jbkirby Forte User

Sep 10, 2009
    Dothan, Alabama

Even though I love my alma mater, Auburn University, the best is without a doubt, the JSU Marching Southerners. Instead of sousaphones, they march with 30 (thirty!) Conn 20J large-bore concert tubas with bells slanted forward 45 degrees. Each weighs 52 pounds. if they want to drop into the lower registers, they have an additional two 24Js with four valves and an octave lower. Many, if not most are music majors, and take their performances seroiusly. They are truly a sight to behold, but you'd better duct tape your cap to your head if you don't want it blown off by "Stars Fell on Alabama!

JSU Marching Southerners - Moving Forward... While Leaving The Others Behind
    YouTube - JSU Marching Southerners at BOA-Atlanta
    YouTube - Duel of the Fates JSU Trumpet Line
    YouTube - JSU Southerners Homecoming 07, closing

5. operagost

operagost Forte User

Jan 25, 2009
    Spring City, PA, USA
    :thumbsup:

6. ComeBackKid

ComeBackKid Fortissimo User

May 11, 2009
    Yorba Linda, CA
    Very impressive. Too bad the stands weren't full - or were those practice sessions?

7. SpiritDCI08

SpiritDCI08 Piano User

Feb 11, 2009
    Fort Campbell, KY
    No JSU is a very small college and it probably was a pep rally

8. jbkirby

jbkirby Forte User

Sep 10, 2009
    Dothan, Alabama
    That's right. Their stadium is about the size of a large city's high school stadium. Before it was built, they played in Anniston High School's Memorial Stadium twelve miles south of Jacksonville with greater capacity for their bigger games. We used to sit on our patio three blocks away and watch the leaves being stripped from the trees when they played. Words cannot express the sound of the Southerners (in those days, only 300 in number) in a high school stadium!

9. erd402

erd402 Pianissimo User

Mar 21, 2009
    West Virginia
    I'll second West Virginia University. I was at their Keynotes Concert in December, which is just a big concert where they play through all of their pregame music, play through some halftime music, and some other stuff. They did some sectional songs and their sousaphones were so amazing.

10. JLSmith526

JLSmith526 Pianissimo User

Feb 16, 2010
    I almost think JSU shouldn't count, its cheating.

They're good, but a good part of their kids march in spirit. So they are going to have more people that take it seriously.

Gotta give it to them though, they're good. If I wanted to march in a college marching band, that would be the one.