Favorite College Marching Band?

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by 1stTrumpet, Nov 10, 2009.

1. VetPsychWars

VetPsychWars Fortissimo User

Nov 8, 2006
    Greenfield WI
    I'm surprised no one has mentioned Wisconsin. That's a band that knows how to have fun!

To be fair, I'm familiar with almost no one else.

Tom

2. gmonady

gmonady Utimate User

Jan 28, 2011
    Dayton, Ohio
    And playing their recordings in the presence of your significant other, they serve as a bith control device.

3. Ed Lee

Ed Lee Utimate User

Aug 16, 2009
    Jackson NC
    Tom, Is William T. Purdy's On Wisconsin in your repertoire as it is in mine? No, I never attended any of the UW college campuses, but my nephew Doug graduated from Madison. Actually, my high school in Carnegie PA had the chorus in lyre size music changing the word "Wisconsin" to "Carnegie" (same number of syllables) that we played at pep rallys. Geez, I first played this song when I was 10 yrs old, 65 years ago. It is alluded that John Philip Sousa thought On Wisconsin was the best college fight song he had heard. I suppose that was said before he wrote a few of his own.

4. Sterling

Sterling Mezzo Forte User

Oct 22, 2007
    Marcellus, NY
    I vote for Ohio University's Marching 110 Men of Ohio. People would go to the football games, listen to the band pre game and half time and then leave! Any band that would play Frank Zappa's Dancing Fool in the late '70s gets my vote.

5. ENTrumpet

ENTrumpet New Friend

Feb 18, 2012
    Cullman, AL
    Actually, there are a lot of members of the Southerners that don't march corps at all (myself included); yet we still work hard at what we do.

6. acarcido

acarcido Forte User

Dec 28, 2009
    Ontario, Ca
    :-):-P:play::thumbsup:

7. Mark_Kindy

Mark_Kindy Mezzo Forte User

Jul 11, 2010
    Gainesville, FL
    Gotta go with Ohio State. Heard them this past semester, they sound darn good.
    Props to JSU's trumpet players though... hardcore playing.

8. Ness

Ness New Friend

Nov 3, 2011
  9. SteveRicks

SteveRicks Fortissimo User

Aug 15, 2009
    Alabama
    Come on now. We know it is either the University of Alabama or Auburn University. By the way, how many national championships from the state was that in a row? One, two three....and next year....

10. jbkirby

jbkirby Forte User

Sep 10, 2009
    Dothan, Alabama
    Steve, I graduated form Auburn and have heard both bands, Auburn's and Bammer'z Milyun Doller Band. The Southerners can blow either one out of the stadium. They are purely awesome and that is why I picked them at the start of this thread. There is nothing, I mean NOTHING to compare to Stars Fell on Alabama. With THIRTY (30) Conn 20J large-bore concert tubas instead of Sousaphones, the sound has to be heard live to be appreciated. Right ENTrumpet???

Last edited: Mar 12, 2012