Favorite concert halls/venues

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by KJaeger, May 26, 2005.

1. KJaeger

KJaeger Pianissimo User

Oct 27, 2004
    Colorado Springs, CO
    Hello Manny:

My question in the "Trumpets You're Dragging..." thread inspired me to think of this question as well, so I hope you will indulge me :oops:

Are there any particular concert halls or venues that are your favorite to perform in? I suppose my primary interest is in how satisfying/efficient/"goose-bump-inducing" the acoustics are as a performer, but I could imagine there are other factors that you might consider as well (i.e. how luxurious the dressing rooms are, etc ;-) )...

I would certainly also be interested in the opinions of Mr. Wise and any other pros who may be lurking about...

Thanks so much for participating in this Forum by the way! :-)

2. Manny Laureano

Manny Laureano Utimate User

Sep 29, 2004
    USA
    My favorite Halls acoustically:

Carnegie (ignore what people have said about it since its renovation)

Boston Symphony Hall

The Musikverein (in Vienna)

Santory Hall (in Tokyo)

Orchestra Hall, Minneapolis

The main concert Hall in Koln, Germany

There are others that I'm not recalling right now. I'd rather not get into the ones I hate.

ML

3. Zachtpt

Zachtpt New Friend

May 2, 2005
    Benaroya Hall

Benaroya Hall is an acoustical paradise. Seattle is lucky to have not only this spectacular facility, but a practially brand new opera house as well, also with splendid acoustics. Zach

4. Manny Laureano

Manny Laureano Utimate User

Sep 29, 2004
    USA
    From what I understand, it's a much better hall than the Ordway Theatre, here, in St.Paul, yet it was designed by the same person!

ML

5. Zachtpt

Zachtpt New Friend

May 2, 2005
    I know that there was well over $100 million dollars spent on Benaroya (I think the final figure may have been around 180 million....) so that might have something to do with it - with that kind of money anything should be possible. Thankfully the greater Puget Sound region is pretty arts friendly these days! I do know that there was quite a reaction when the hall was first built - some people didn't like it! - on stage it seems unbelievably live and can feel (even when playing with a Mahler sized orchestra) like you're playing all by your lonesome self. There was definetly an adjustment period before everything seemed to settle in.
    Zach

6. Bear

Bear Forte User

Apr 30, 2004
    USA
    Aww, come on Manny, you didn't like our Hemmle Hall here in good ol' Lubbock, TX? HAHAH... what a terrible room....

Tim

7. MahlerBrass

MahlerBrass Piano User

Oct 1, 2004
    Houston, TX
    I've been to a lot of halls for my age (still nowhere near the amount that Mr. Laureano or some of the other guys have been to), but my favorite thus far with a large gap from the first to second place, is deifinitely Dallas' Meyerson Hall, it's incredible, I swear you can hear a pin drop clearly from anywhere in that hall, just my two cents.

8. sdgtpt

sdgtpt New Friend

Dec 3, 2004
    1. Davies Hall in San Fran

2. Meyerson in Dallas

3. Kimmel Center in Philly

4. Orchestra Hall in Cleveland

Next to last place
    Avery Fisher Hall in NY

Last place
    Jones Hall in Houston

9. pmkt16

pmkt16 New Friend

Oct 24, 2004
    Chicago
    The Great Hall in Krannert Center at the University of Illinois.

10. KJaeger

KJaeger Pianissimo User

Oct 27, 2004
    Colorado Springs, CO
    That's a wonderful hall! - it was really cool to get to perform there back in grad school...